Engine block heater (41H)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine block heater (41H)

Bill,

When using the index in the manual, make sure to look at the top center of the page where it will tell you what engine that page info is referencing. I found myslf using the index and ending up in a 3.0 liter engine section. It sounds like their may be something wrong that is causing those strange fht readings. Hopefully your dealer will find and fix. Good luck.

Brian

Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

If you are in a lot of stop n go, with lots of time with the engine off, water temperature of about 150 degrees sounds normal.

In fact, this time of year, in Stop n Go, mine has a hard time getting past 140 degrees. I block the radiator ( cover the grille ) in winter, which helps.

On the highway, with continuous engine use, you should see at least 180 degrees.

HTH,
-John

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
If you are in a lot of stop n go, with lots of time with the engine off, water temperature of about 150 degrees sounds normal.

In fact, this time of year, in Stop n Go, mine has a hard time getting past 140 degrees. I block the radiator ( cover the grille ) in winter, which helps.

On the highway, with continuous engine use, you should see at least 180 degrees.

HTH,
-John
I could understand that, but I do not do a lot of stop and go. My trips are 10 to 30 mile highway trips at 40 to 50 mph with an occasional stop sign; and in 40 degree ambient, I do not reach 150 degrees except sporadically. I don't get regen, and boost until the end of my trips, which is not very helpful.

Bill

Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kephra
I could understand that, but I do not do a lot of stop and go. My trips are 10 to 30 mile highway trips at 40 to 50 mph with an occasional stop sign; and in 40 degree ambient, I do not reach 150 degrees except sporadically. I don't get regen, and boost until the end of my trips, which is not very helpful.

Bill
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

GaryG

Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG

GaryG
As Gary says that would be the thermostat in the coolant loop for the ICE (for the radiator) I think. Just so no one thinks thats a "hybrid thing" those thermostats have been breaking for years. Its a common problem on many cars.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

How much should it cost to install block heater (at dealer) for 09 Escape...my dealer states that they have never installed before so will not give me fixed price. Parts are about $180.

Thanks for any input

UPDATE: Apparently the block heater is not yet spec'd for the FEH. My dealer has told me that they cannot (or will not) install the '08 spec'd block heater in an '09.

Well that sucks. Any one have any info that might disagree with this position by my Ford service center.

Last edited by BruceF; 12-08-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG

GaryG
Gary,

My dealer tested my thermostat and said its working correctly. He took a snapshot of my ECU and sent it to the Ford engineers. A couple days later, the dealer called me and told me that my ECU data didn't look right and they thought there is something wrong with my car. They asked me to leave it at the dealers for a couple of days while they try to sort it out.

My complaint was that it acted like it never warmed up and the coolant temperature was erratic, changing by as much as 30 degrees in a second which is physically impossible.

The technician verified what you told me about the FEH having no real coolant temperature sensor. The temp is computed from several other inputs including the CHT.

So, when and if I find out whats wrong I will post the info.

Its a good thing I had the scanguage, as it verified to the dealer that something is not right.

Bill

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

A diagram of the 3 parts for the install of the engine block heater. My vehicle is an '07.

Engine block heater (41H)-scan0001.jpg

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 12-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is the parts installed in my FEH:
Name:  FEHblockheater.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  122.3 KB

Photo of the hybrid battery heater:
Name:  fordinternalbatteryheater-1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  138.5 KB

Last edited by Billyk; 12-14-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: more information
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The diagram by Lone Ranger in #78 is helpful.

Just note, you are looking at the back, or firewall side of the engine facing you. This is not a point of view you are used to.

The big blocky thing at the lower-right on the drawing is the 120v AC to 24v DC transformer for the battery heater. It is located on the passenger side, near the windshield washer fluid tank.

The cables go over the top of the engine, top of radiator, and down the front of the car between the radiator and the plastic grille. The plug should end near the front license plate.

I used my plug-in heater today.
Night time low was -16'F and daytime high was about +1 degree F.
I used the plug for 12 hours since I was at a hotel and did not have a timer.

The block heater is 425 watts.
The battery heater is 75 watts.

My block was 71 degrees before I turned the key on a zero degree day.
My HV battery pack was 57 degrees.
I was driving EV mode after 2 miles and 4 minutes at zero degrees outside.

The battery heater will turn off at about 60 degrees, so you can't cook your battery. The block heater is "dumb" and is always on, but you don't have to worry about your engine block getting too hot either.

HTH,
-John

Quick Reply: Engine block heater (41H)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands