Escape hybrid battery cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2007 Escape hybrid battery cost

Originally Posted by Dan Orive
This forces me to rethink the decision to go with a hybrid, and to look at something like a 4 cylinder Nissan Altima.
I'm just curious....... because I've heard your situation described by others but,.......what set of transportation needs leads to a narrowed down choice between an Escape and an Altima ????

One is a SUV with an all wheel drive option, and one is a four-door sedan. If you don't need the SUV features and can make do with an Altima.....you need to be choosing between 4-door sedans........right???? [There are a few hybrid choices in the sedan category.....from what I understand. And most of them with much better FE.]

Last edited by glennb; 09-26-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Escape hybrid battery cost

I'm looking at a 2007 Escape Hybrid, have firmed up a price with the dealer, then thought I'd better confirm the actual battery replacement price just in case. (In case I drill holes through the battery pack, or wreck it in such a way that the 8 year 160km warranty is voided.

The parts department quoted me "$14,000 but I could give it to you for $11,800". Ouch. This forces me to rethink the decision to go with a hybrid, and to look at something like a 4 cylinder Nissan Altima.

Certainly different functionality, but fuel consumption is very close (Escape 8.7 litres/100km vs Altima's 9.0 litres/100km).
I question the "figures" stated in this post. I have never heard of five figure price to replace the FEH battery pack. Who is twisting the truth, the individual who posted or the dealership?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Red
Default Re: Escape hybrid battery cost

My guess is that before my FFH is 8 years old, there will be remanufacturing stations around the US that can take out battery cell groups and replace them for under $1000. You will go to an exchange station and swap out your battery pack for a remanufactured and tested one. The highest expense will be the labor to swap out the packs. As the new battery plants come online, in part paid for with my taxes, the cost will come down, the power will be incresased, the size will be smaller and the repairability made simplier.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: 2007 Escape hybrid battery cost

False and ridiculous. Or were those quotes in pesos or some other currency?
Remember, the entire hyrbid package costs only $3000-5000 more than a regular Escape! ( With similar equipement )

Gently used or refurbished batteries for the FEH sell in the $1000 to $2000 range, though are rarely needed.

I'm looking at a 2007 Escape Hybrid, have firmed up a price with the dealer, then thought I'd better confirm the actual battery replacement price just in case. (In case I drill holes through the battery pack, or wreck it in such a way that the 8 year 160km warranty is voided.

The parts department quoted me "$14,000 but I could give it to you for $11,800". Ouch. This forces me to rethink the decision to go with a hybrid, and to look at something like a 4 cylinder Nissan Altima.

Certainly different functionality, but fuel consumption is very close (Escape 8.7 litres/100km vs Altima's 9.0 litres/100km).

Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

what about use pack from recycle yards?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 AM

[quote=angle;213652]Hello
These hybrid cars seem to suffer from very low resale value for that exact reason.
quote]

Good Grief. What an untrue statement.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by angle
Even if you spend many thousands on a new battery, it does not then become a brand new car.
This is true with any major component in any vehicle. If you replace a transmission (or even a clutch), you wouldn't expect a new car. Why should the battery be any different?

Up to this point I expect, there has been, and will continue to be, more total loss accidents in the FEH (and thus donor batteries) than there will be battery failures.

I would like to point out that battery failure/replacement hasn't been a major issue for FEH/MMH/MTH owners. If it were, you'd see more post here for people looking for batteries.

Please look back in this thread where I posted a used battery that was listed for $800/OBO.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Red
Exclamation Re: Escape hybrid battery cost

Originally Posted by angle
Hello
These hybrid cars seem to suffer from very low resale value for that exact reason.

You have not done your research and are incorrect on so many counts. Hybrid Escapes have held excellent resale value compared to their gas engine comperable vehicles. At local transaction prices, a 2005 is worth $4,200 more and a 2007 is worth $4,100 more. I trade very frequently, so that was an area I researched very thoroughly. I don't know where you get your information.