EV Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EV Mode Question

Sometimes the engine keeps running in situations where I think it should be shutting off. This usually is while moving within the ev speed range, and with the hybrid battery charged to capacity. Often I can cause it to go into ev mode by tapping the gas pedal twice. Is this something that's been known about?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by xspirit
Sometimes the engine keeps running in situations where I think it should be shutting off. This usually is while moving within the ev speed range, and with the hybrid battery charged to capacity. Often I can cause it to go into ev mode by tapping the gas pedal twice. Is this something that's been known about?
You don't have a SGII if I recall, so you may not see a battery recalibration. This is when the computer takes control and charges the battery to over 90% to recalibrate the HV battery. The generator normally does not charge over 52%, but during this recalibration mode, you cannot go EV until the battery reaches somewhere over 90%. This is normal and keeps your battery conditioned over the years.

Gary

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
You don't have a SGII if I recall, so you may not see a battery recalibration. This is when the computer takes control and charges the battery to over 90% to recalibrate the HV battery. The generator normally does not charge over 52%, but during this recalibration mode, you cannot go EV until the battery reaches somewhere over 90%. This is normal and keeps your battery conditioned over the years.

Gary
That's useful to know. However, I don't see why that activity would be set up so that it can be interrupted by a couple of taps on the gas pedal. Or why this can be done a couple of times just a few minutes apart. It's difficult to believe my double taps would just happen to usually coincide with the battery reaching 90%.

On an unrelated matter, if you have an SGII And AWD, do you know if the rear axle torque coupler is engaged during regen braking?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 AM

That's useful to know. However, I don't see why that activity would be set up so that it can be interrupted by a couple of taps on the gas pedal. Or why this can be done a couple of times just a few minutes apart. It's difficult to believe my double taps would just happen to usually coincide with the battery reaching 90%.

On an unrelated matter, if you have an SGII And AWD, do you know if the rear axle torque coupler is engaged during regen braking?
You are right, a couple of taps on the pedal wouldn't interrupt recalibration. There must be something else going on. Never had this happen myself.

Both my FEH's were FWD, so I don't know.

Gary

Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM

You are right, a couple of taps on the pedal wouldn't interrupt recalibration. There must be something else going on. Never had this happen myself.

Both my FEH's were FWD, so I don't know.

Gary
It doesn't work all the time, maybe 2/3 of the time. I only try it when I think it could be in ev mode. It seems like a way to give it an extra "nudge" to go into ev mode, but it won't if it has a charge deficit to make up. This could be unique to the '09 for all I know. It would be very interesting to have an SGII to see what's going on with the double-tap.

A double-tap on the brake pedal either in Drive or Low has been described as a way to force ev mode, but this doesn't work for mine.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 PM

It doesn't work all the time, maybe 2/3 of the time. I only try it when I think it could be in ev mode. It seems like a way to give it an extra "nudge" to go into ev mode, but it won't if it has a charge deficit to make up. This could be unique to the '09 for all I know. It would be very interesting to have an SGII to see what's going on with the double-tap.

A double-tap on the brake pedal either in Drive or Low has been described as a way to force ev mode, but this doesn't work for mine.
You just let off the gas pedal at 40mph and under to go EV in the '09 FEH. None of those tricks are needed on the '09 FEH to go EV.

Gary

Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM

You just let off the gas pedal at 40mph and under to go EV in the '09 FEH. None of those tricks are needed on the '09 FEH to go EV.

Gary
I should have described the situation more carefully. It doesn't work if the car is cold, or the hybrid battery is depleted, or you're above the ev top speed.

This happens when:
- I'm already off the gas and coasting. (Logically, I can't tap the gas pedal unless it's not pressed.)
- the car is warmed up
- speed is within ev range
- circumstances are such that the hybrid battery must be at or near capacity

I think this works only when the system is very close to going into ev mode. It seems to sort of encourage dropping into ev mode a little before it would do so on its own. During a drive this afternoon, I did this several times within a few minutes.

It doesn't always work, and I assume that's because it will only work if the car is near going into ev mode by itself. When it does work, it goes into ev mode immediately after the second tap. I've done this enough times to be certain the double tap is having an effect.