First oil change at 1K????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default First oil change at 1K????

Have any of you guys had your first oil change at 1K? I am just about to turn 1000miles, probably tomorrow. I am kinda old school thinking that it should. I called my dealer and the service guy was really trying to steer me away from it. I thought that was weird, since thats one way they make money! but I just wanted to get an idea if any of you guys have done that. I am still somewhat new to the hybrid world so I'm still learning.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: First oil change at 1K????

As a Saturn Vue Hybrid owner and 90+ mile a day commuter, if I made my first oil change at 1,000 miles it would have happened in the second week of ownership.

Keep in mind that synthetic oil is made to last longer, therefore the statement below only refers to regular oil.

I made my first oil change at 5500 miles and my second will be in the 11,000+ mile range. It takes me about 12 weeks to drive that distance.

There is great debate as to when one should change their oil. So, when I went to the new Saturn Owners meeting at my dealership, I brought up this question.

When should you change the oil?
- Saturn Customer Rep: Showed some slides that pointed the oil life to between 4000 and 6000 miles, with regular driving and 3000 and 5000 miles with server driving conditions. (Like stop and go, dust & heat)
- Saturn Mechanic: Recommended every 3,000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first. Gave the standard "Jiffy Lube" tag line.
- OnStar Diagnosis: With the monthly printout I receive it states that my oil life would last 12,000 miles.
- My Dad: Take out the dip stick and look at the oil. If it is very black and thick - it is time to change it. Thanks Dad.

Taking into account the information above, my driving habits and the amount of mileage that I put on my car - I have decided that 5500 mile intervals is going to be my routine on the Saturn Hybrid Vue. Basically - you have to decide what fits your driving patters best.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Alex - 1000 miles is too soon. The OEM oil is a synthetic blend. Read through this thread for various opinions:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=13021

Ford recommends 10,000 mile intervals on the FEH and 5,000 on the non-hybrid 4cyl Escapes. I am planning 5k intervals and full synth. (somewhat old school) Haven't found any good references that correlate oil viscosity and color/appearance on the dipstick.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First oil change at 1K????

yeah i read that thread. seems some there have changed the oil the first time at 1K. I guess I am in the old school thought that any shavings and what not from break in, it would be a good idea to make the first change sooner. So the OEM oil is synthetic, is that what the dealer will use when they do change it? or would one have to pay extra for it?

Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
yeah i read that thread. seems some there have changed the oil the first time at 1K. I guess I am in the old school thought that any shavings and what not from break in, it would be a good idea to make the first change sooner. So the OEM oil is synthetic, is that what the dealer will use when they do change it? or would one have to pay extra for it?
All of the Motorcraft 5W-20 is synthetic blend. You don't have to ask for that at a dealer. It is a blend though. If you want fully synthetic you'd probably have to bring your own.

As for Jiffy Lubes and such.... I have no idea if theirs would be synthetic, and then theres the matter of CORRECTLY changing the filter (ie new O-rings, not reusing the old ones).

As far as shavings are concerned..... isn't that what the filter is for? unless there were enough to plug the filter most of the "shavings" would end up there. Additionally, I'm wondering if there is a magnet in the bottom of the oilpan like there is in most transmissions.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: First oil change at 1K????

Newbie here (no hybrid purchase yet but it's in the works for later this summer I hope). I am not even a novice when it comes to hybrids, but I have some experience with engine oils, etc,. I have changed my own oil & filter 95% of the time on every vehicle I have ever owned. For me, it's not just a cost savings. I want to make sure it gets done right and I enjoy doing it myself.

My experince with automobiles is perhaps a little different. I managed an auto parts store for a couple of years and worked with dealerships. I was a maintenance officer in the Army before that.

Here is what I do (your experience and mileage may vary):

1) I change the oil and oil filter every 5000 miles, period. I choose the 5000 mile marker because it is the easiest way in the world to remember when an oil change is due. Simply change the oil and filter every time your odometer rolls over to the next 5000 mile marker. No sticker on my windshield. No worries. No having to remember.

2) Oil is oil. It all came from animals that died some time ago. Most of us are hooked on brand names and brand loyalty. Nothing wrong with that. Go with what you know and what you feel comfortable with. I use brand "X" synthetic oil most of the time. As long as the oil has the API stamp on the back of the label meeting industry standards it is okay. Be sure to use the correct oil type according to your manufacturer (type - not brand).

3) Do not skimp on a non brand oil filter. I pay more for an oil filter that traps more contaminants. Right off the top of my head I cannot remember the brand of the oil filter that I use, but Carquest and NAPA both sell good oil filters for about $5 or so. I do not use brands like Fram or Motorcraft. Spend a little more and get a quality oil filter.

4) Buy a magnetic oil drain plug. You will have to look around for one, but a $5 investment prolongs engine life. The magnetic oil drain plug is an exact OEM replacement part for your vehicle. It has a magnetic tip which extents outwards perhaps 1/4 inch or so. This magnetic tip traps microscopic metallic shavings and prevents the shavings from circulating throughtout your engine (your oil filter cannot trap everything). Take my Pepsi taste challenge! Go buy a magnetic oil drain plug and take a look at it when you do your next oil change!!

Back to your original question now. Can you change the oil at 1000 miles? Yes, and I would do it. All you will be out is $25 bucks or so. Maybe this will prolong your engine but it will definitely give you peace of mind.

This is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth. Remember, your mileage may vary!

Last edited by dogolden; 04-28-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: First oil change at 1K????

As for Jiffy Lubes and such.... I have no idea if theirs would be synthetic, and then theres the matter of CORRECTLY changing the filter (ie new O-rings, not reusing the old ones).
I do not use them or places like Wal-Mart. When you pay people peanuts, you get monkeys!

As far as shavings are concerned..... isn't that what the filter is for? unless there were enough to plug the filter most of the "shavings" would end up there. Additionally, I'm wondering if there is a magnet in the bottom of the oilpan like there is in most transmissions.
I would suggest that you purchase a magnetic oil drain plug. Seeing is believing! I have never seen a magnet at the bottom of an oil drain plug (but have seen them in transmission pans). Even a premium oil filter will not trap 100% of the contaminants and microscopic engine shavings. $5 or so for a magnetic oil drain plug is a very good investment. Don't bother trying to get one from Autozone or Advance Auto. To the best of my knowledge you have to get one from NAPA or perhaps Carquest?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Speaking of oil(s), Consumer Reports ran a very interesting article a few years ago comparing brands of oil vs. non brand oils. I forgot the exact details of the article but they figured that the harshest environment for vehicles anywhere in the world were the taxi fleets in NYC.

In summary, they paid to have the engines rebuilt in "X" number of taxi's. Half of them were to be serviced with brand oil, the other half were to be serviced with non brand oil. At the end of their study they could find no difference in any of the taxi cabs. As the article was going into print the oil companies got a gag order issued preventing the article from being published in the US. Consumer Reports was outflanked and outspent in attorneys fees and CR could not publish the article in the US. But the article exists in Europe. I will try to locate it and post (hope I got all my factoids straight).

Or was it data comparing oil changes at 3000 vs 5000 miles? I cannot find the article, perhaps you can help?

Last edited by dogolden; 04-28-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogolden
I do not use them or places like Wal-Mart. When you pay people peanuts, you get monkeys!

I would suggest that you purchase a magnetic oil drain plug. Seeing is believing! I have never seen a magnet at the bottom of an oil drain plug (but have seen them in transmission pans). Even a premium oil filter will not trap 100% of the contaminants and microscopic engine shavings. $5 or so for a magnetic oil drain plug is a very good investment. Don't bother trying to get one from Autozone or Advance Auto. To the best of my knowledge you have to get one from NAPA or perhaps Carquest?
Hmmmm....Since the filter is probably in the line on the way to the engine, oil would go through the engine, pick up the scraps of metal, and then return to the oil pan. It would there be exposed to the magnetic plug FIRST before it sees the filter. So what you see on that plug might have never made it to the filter.

Nothing wrong with a magnetic oil drain plug though.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks for all the info! I did change my oil last night. I was at about 1030miles. It was just the slightest bit darker. I went to the dealer to get the filter and was suprised how cheap it was. It was $4.70 for the element and both o-rings which were in the box with the filter. I am going to get the magnetic drian plugs for both of our cars. Thats a good and cheap idea.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 1K????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands