Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Hey,

I don't have my 06 FEH anymore, so I can't check, but are you getting traction control and stability control confused? I seem to recall that when I floored it in the snow, it would detect the spinning and calm it down. Stability control did not exist then and I assume it is now available?

Can someone confirm?

Cheers
By about 2001 Traction Control had become a pretty standard feature within the industry, even for RWD. So it is puzzling that the Escape could have been so late to the scene.

On the other hand early on it was often not included on F/awd vehicles, just FWD only.

Last edited by wwest; 12-02-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Also guys, the EPA numbers just came out for the 2011 Explorer and I was floored! The AWD and FWD V6 both were rated 17mpg city. The FWD got only 2mpg better on the highway (25mpg) than the AWD (23mpg) highway. This tells me that the 2011 AWD had some great major changes to the system. The 2.0L EcoBoost engine will only be available in FWD later in the year.

GaryG
In 2010 the FE final gear ratio went from 2.93 to 3.51. Not sure what they did with the 6F50/6F55 transaxle compared to the FE's 6F35.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 AM

I only have FWD, but I know I do NOT have TC! I can sit and spin on ice until the cows come home. Unlike the Freestar that would reduce the spin and/or engage both front wheels (can't recall what all it did) and it had an overide switch.
Not sure why your rear is not spinning/engaging. Checked the fuse/relay that some people pull to force it into a FWD to try to boost mpg?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

First of all there is no traction control on the 08 Escape Hybrids. That section is even missing from the Hybrid Owners manual.

I took my car into the dealer and he said they said that they put it up on the rack and the back wheels turn just fine, so everything is working and to come get it. I took it home and it had snowed that day. We have a steep driveway (hence my need for 4WD) and I could not make it up. My wife cruised right up in her 01 subaru and my son cruised up in his 99 Explorer. I tried several time, but everytime the front wheels just spin out. I would back up and could see where the front tires dug holes in the snow, but the snow was completely un-distrurbed where the back tires were. Maybe I will take it back to the dealer again......

Does anyone know if the amount of power to the back when there is a spin in the front can be programmed?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he definately thinks something is wrong. He said that he spoke with a field engineer and the 4WD should work just like the regular Escapes. If I am stuck, the back wheels should be recieving close to 50% of the power and that they should be engaging and either getting me out, or spinning a hole into the snow just like the front. He wants me to bring it in on Monday, so I will let you all know what they find out.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by freak4tech
I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he definately thinks something is wrong. He said that he spoke with a field engineer and the 4WD should work just like the regular Escapes. If I am stuck, the back wheels should be recieving close to 50% of the power and that they should be engaging and either getting me out, or spinning a hole into the snow just like the front. He wants me to bring it in on Monday, so I will let you all know what they find out.
On my '07 there's a "4x4 system check" that displays in the dash. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it says something like "4x4 OK" when you initiate a system check. Does your 4x4 pass that check?

My AWD FEH is just as capable (maybe more so) in the snow and ice as my 4x4 Blazer.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
The FEH before '09 had no ON/OFF switch.
You know, it is generally best to ignore people who get their FEH knowledge from Google. wwest is on my ignore list because of posts like that.

The 2008 does not have TC or RSC.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
You know, it is generally best to ignore people who get their FEH knowledge from Google. wwest is on my ignore list because of posts like that.

The 2008 does not have TC or RSC.
I'm on the ignore list of a few here too. I don't have anyone on a ignore list nor did I know of such a thing till I heard of it here. All it takes is to disagree with some and you've made the list.

Not sure why anyone has to annouce the fact that a user has been added to their list.

Last edited by wptski; 12-03-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I'm on the ignore list of a few here too. I don't have anyone on a ignore nor did I know of such a thing till I heard of it here. All it takes is to disagree with some and you've made the list.

Not sure why anyon has to annouce the fact that a user has been added to their list.
It was included because you were replying to wwest.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

We have snow here in Utah. I went out this morning into a snow bank and floored it. I have a '07 and the traction went to the rear wheels immediately. computers control everything

Quick Reply: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands