Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Attention Ford Escape SUV Hybrid Owners:

I have some background and experience with this new entry to the Hybrid Market.

I offer an answer to all posts although a final answer may take some time.

I believe I can reach some people at Ford and get an answer to most complaints. I have a copy of the Helms 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Workshop Manual and I promise to use it to your benefit.

On my own car I have installed some of the available after market accessories.

Mike

Old 12-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for being here Mike. I know we will benefit from your experience and knowledge.

Things I have wondered about are how the vehicle power braking and steering systems operate since there cannot be vacuum produced nor hydraulic fluid being pumped while the gas engine is not running and you are in electric only mode. I suspect that there is an electric "boosting" element that I have not yet encountered.

My concerns were that my wife would find the steering more difficult to use or that the brakes would require more effort than normal when in electric only operation. Since I have not heard any such issues reported, I presume that Ford has addressed these issues (just didn't know how).

Please share your mods and assessment of the accessories you have installed. Since I want to optomize MPG, I'm considering low resistance tires and welcome any insights members have on them. Also looking for ways to eliminate weight like removing the spare tire and jack while in "City" mode.

The Ford connections I need right now are the folks that can expedite my order into production. Got any good buddies in scheduling? Duane

Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Red,
I'll go ahead an jump in here with the kind of assertive assumption that the braking and steering system of the Escape hybrid is the same (or very similar) to the Toyotas (wich is were the technology is licensed from).

The power braking and power steering systems of the prius (both gen I and gen II) are electrically driven. That way when the engine is shut off the vehicle can maintain booster pressure (with an electric vaccum pump) for the brakes as well as have easy steering (fly by wire in the prius, maybe electric assist in the escape like the hondas). This electric system has the added advantage of reducing strain on the engine when these components are not needed, ex. driving on the highway. The booster pressure will stay for a while if the brakes are not used, and power steering is not really necessary at higher speeds. I know that the hondas have a system that measures the amount of force put into the steering and will help more or less per the amount of help needed. I cant really comments on accessories from the escape, but i hope that this will give you a bit more peace of mind.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Red

Everything I read says that Ford decided to liscence 21 patents that pertain to the engine systems control of the Escape Hybrid. The systems were developed by Ford but were close to the patents that Toyota had already been granted. Toyota had nothing to do with the brake or steering systems for the Escape.

I was hoping the manuals that Mike has would explain the systems. Mike, are you out there?

Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 AM

Red,
After a quick bit of reasearch on the Ford website, i was able to find that the Escape Hybrid does have electric steering (rack and pinion w/ electric assist). I couldnt find any information about the braking system other than it is ABS. I hope Mike can find it.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 12-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry for the couple day absence but I was busy putting a Tow Package on my Escape.

First, the Steering is direct column that activates an electric assist motor. The brakes and gas pedal are connected in cabin to servos which run an electric hydraulic pump and send signalt to the onboard computer.

I have not bought new tires but the ones that come with the car are hard and noisy. Some have invested in new expensive tires and admit mileage may decrease a bit because they are 'stickier'.

As for accessories, you must be aware that the more you add mileage will decrease just a bit. I say this is a good excuse for leaving your brother-in-law at home. I have added side steps from Aries ($200), a Front Covercraft Full Bra ($85), and today the Class 2.5 Da'Lan Hitch, as modified by Hitch-Web.Com ($300). I had thought about dropping the spare and carrying a puncture can instead.

I am still getting 28-30 under most conditions.

Wish I could help you with your order but I waited about 8 weeks and Ford says if you order today it is 12 weeks. Your best bet is to pressure your dealer as often as you can.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Old 12-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributor ($)

Mike,
I'm glad to hear you got your towing package installed. I know you've spent a fair amount of time trying to work things out. Thanks for paving the way for others.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Eric for the encouragement. I am indeed passionate about this car. I think I have somewhat the same feeling as those that were fortuate enough to get a first Insight or Prius. I have some friends with the Prius and saw my first FEH in our small town yesterday and immediately felt a kinship.

I really want to hear from people, whether they are current owners or prospective owners. I heard back from Ford Marketing today and they realize there may be a problem with the towing abaility and with the availability of oil and air filters. He has promised to check it out and get back to me. They are a bit slow but are responsive.

It amazes me that people have a unique car but still want to trick it out. I guess that describes me also. I want to know what accessories or options are of interest.

I will do my very best to help, and research if I have to. I think many after market sellers and manufacturers are getting tired of answering my emails.

One more accessory I still am pursuing is a PIE Controller which will allow me to connect my IPod to or through the underseat Clarion 6-CD Changer and allow control through my Visteon Audiophile Navigation System. I know some Audi car owners can do this. Just another windmill to joust with !

Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 AM

Mike,
So the gas and brakes are fly-by-wire? This disturbs me if it is true. (mainly the brakes) In the event of an electrical or software failure is there a mechanical back up?
Cheers,
Steven

Old 12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Red

Mike, Thanks for the update. I see on the hitch sites that most say their hitches will not fit the Escape Hybrid. Do you know how they had to modify the hitch and did they start with a Non-Hybrid version hitch?
Does the standard hitch interfere with the battery cooling system for the Hybrid? (That's the only thing I can think of that might be down there.)

Does the Hybrid have a keyless entry pad (with the numbers) or do we need to buy one to add as an accessory? I put one on my son's F150 and they are easy to program.

The uniqueness of the vehicle may be a reason to purchase the ESP maintenance plan when I buy the Hybrid. Any problems getting parts will be on the dealer and Ford. If they have to air freight in an oil filter, its their nickel.

I havn't heard any feedback on the 110 volt recepticle on the console. How much can you load up on one circuit? I've got a 13" color TV with built in DVD player that would be a great distraction for the grand daughters on a trip of any length.

Quick Reply: Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands