Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

Originally Posted by wptski
So if your EPAS goes out, they won't touch it till July?
If it goes out before the recall is implemented, it will be treated the same as before the recall. You do the repair, keep the receipts, then apply to be repaid after the recall rolls out.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

so if your epas goes out, they won't touch it till july?
lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 PM

It could be argued the vehicles that have had the steering failure should not be driven until they're fixed. To a lesser extent, all the almost 1 million vechicles in the recall perhaps should not be driven until fixed. It is, after all, a serious safety defect.

Between the time mine failed and the time I got it fixed, I didn't carry kids in it, and I didn't let anyone else drive it.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by xspirit
If it goes out before the recall is implemented, it will be treated the same as before the recall. You do the repair, keep the receipts, then apply to be repaid after the recall rolls out.
I was joking, of course but the legal beagle didn't get it! I'm on a extended warranty till November and plan to extend it again just because of the problematic 6F35 transaxle.

There was a recall a few years ago on a rust separation of a suspension part on the Aerostar vans. They sat in dealer lots as there were no parts, suppliers were long gone. They had to start from scratch on the parts which took months.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 AM

I was joking, of course but the legal beagle didn't get it! I'm on a extended warranty till November and plan to extend it again just because of the problematic 6F35 transaxle.

There was a recall a few years ago on a rust separation of a suspension part on the Aerostar vans. They sat in dealer lots as there were no parts, suppliers were long gone. They had to start from scratch on the parts which took months.
Ok, ok! I'll try to remain calm.

No doubt Ford can't come up with hundreds of thousands of steering columns quickly, if they're needed. I don't know if Ford can modify defective columns to speed the supply of replacements, but I know Ford didn't offer a core exchange on my original column. My mechanic is keeping it until this is sorted out.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Imported from Detroit

Ok, ok! I'll try to remain calm.

No doubt Ford can't come up with hundreds of thousands of steering columns quickly, if they're needed. I don't know if Ford can modify defective columns to speed the supply of replacements, but I know Ford didn't offer a core exchange on my original column. My mechanic is keeping it until this is sorted out.
Details are limited on this but it has been reported and maybe mentioned here(above) that one or up to three things can happen. The torque sensor is replaced, the steering column is replaced and/or the PCM is flashed with some new update concerning the problem. What or why is unknown.

This is being discussion in other Ford Escape forums as well with second or third owners worried about how or if they well notified.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

So if your EPAS goes out, they won't touch it till July?
Yup, pretty much, or pay out of pocket and get reimbursed for it.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

My steering column has been replaced in the past under warranty so who knows what they'll do this time; flash the PCM or replace the torque sensor. Either way, bring proactive with Ford has been fruitless for me so i'll have to wait until they send the official recall notices out to get it fixed and wait months because the backlog will be horrible.

Details are limited on this but it has been reported and maybe mentioned here(above) that one or up to three things can happen. The torque sensor is replaced, the steering column is replaced and/or the PCM is flashed with some new update concerning the problem. What or why is unknown.

This is being discussion in other Ford Escape forums as well with second or third owners worried about how or if they well notified.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by wbonville
My steering column has been replaced in the past under warranty so who knows what they'll do this time; flash the PCM or replace the torque sensor. Either way, bring proactive with Ford has been fruitless for me so i'll have to wait until they send the official recall notices out to get it fixed and wait months because the backlog will be horrible.
What's your Escape's year, and at what mileage did the steering fail? My guess is that Ford knows more about this problem than earlier, and most likely has updated the replacement parts. So I'd guess they will check it and decide whether it needs another update/repair, and which will be covered by the recall. It sounds like you have not had the problem since your repair.

Last edited by xspirit; 06-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Imported from Detroit

What's your Escape's year, and at what mileage did the steering fail? My guess is that Ford knows more about this problem than earlier, and most likely has updated the replacement parts. So I'd guess they will check it and decide whether it needs another update/repair, and which will be covered by the recall. It sounds like you have not had the problem since your repair.
Somebody that a steering column replaced was told by the dealer that they received the 3rd or 4th version.

Quick Reply: Ford Recalls 900K Escapes / Mariner 2008-2011

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands