Ford TPMS reset tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford TPMS reset tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCap
As far as I know, all Ford tpms are put on around the wheel, not on air valve. That is what the Ford tool is for, to make the wheel mount Ford TPMS talk to the computer in your vehicle.

We can be thankful that Ford used such a simple system, and sales a tool for the DIY person at a low price. If I had a Toyota, I would need to take it to dealer (service charge) to reset TPMS after rotating the tires.

Hmmm I wonder why they have you put a "magnet" on the valve stem. If its an internal wrap around it would seem to be an odd instruction.

Improving knowledge, good point about "magnet" on the valve stem. Some Ford vehicles use TPMS on valve stem as instructions show. I firrst tried this on my escape, did not work because TPMS is straped around wheel.

Using the Ford TPMS sensor tool, As I remember, you point it at wheel, opposite side of valve stem, push the button, and your horn will sound, letting you know it received message from that tire.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast

I am looking for some help on this also. I just purchased 4 rims and tires that were pulled from a FEH and I am not sure of the year of them. They are aluminum rims and have Continental eco-plus on them so I think that they are 2008. After removing my rims/tires and putting these on I am getting the TPMS monitoring fault. I would like to purchase the reset tool, but am not sure if the same tool will work for both years. I have the 09 service manual and the sensors are on the schrader valve, but according to fortpms.com the 2008's are ford banded. Can anyone with an 08 manual confirm this, and or do you know if 1 tool will work for both? I plan to put the 09 rims/tires back on in the spring (tread not quite good enough for the winter).

Thanks!

Last edited by specelec; 11-03-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Pasted graphic did not work
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by specelec
I am looking for some help on this also. I just purchased 4 rims and tires that were pulled from a FEH and I am not sure of the year of them.
You probably need to get the 2009 TPMS sensors for your "old" set of FEH rims if you want to retain the TPMS. The older rims probably have banded sensors which are incompatible with your 2009 irregardless of programming.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by specelec
I am looking for some help on this also. I just purchased 4 rims and tires that were pulled from a FEH and I am not sure of the year of them. They are aluminum rims and have Continental eco-plus on them so I think that they are 2008. After removing my rims/tires and putting these on I am getting the TPMS monitoring fault. I would like to purchase the reset tool, but am not sure if the same tool will work for both years. I have the 09 service manual and the sensors are on the schrader valve, but according to fortpms.com the 2008's are ford banded. Can anyone with an 08 manual confirm this, and or do you know if 1 tool will work for both? I plan to put the 09 rims/tires back on in the spring (tread not quite good enough for the winter).

Thanks!
I believe my '09 FEH cannot use any thing but the type of sensors in it. The cost of 4 '09 new sensors for the older rims and replacing them is not worth
just resetting the fault in the message center and over looking the tire symbol till you change the rims back.

Did you replace the Eco-Plus tires with winter tires? Are the rims on the '09 FEH standard or the Limited rims? I think the '09 TPMS does not need to be reset after you replace the original tires and rims with '09 sensors back on the '09 FEH. This is why you don't get a Fault until you've gone about 8 miles or so over 20mph.

GaryG

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

I believe my '09 FEH cannot use any thing but the type of sensors in it. The cost of 4 '09 new sensors for the older rims and replacing them is not worth
just resetting the fault in the message center and over looking the tire symbol till you change the rims back.

Did you replace the Eco-Plus tires with winter tires? Are the rims on the '09 FEH standard or the Limited rims? I think the '09 TPMS does not need to be reset after you replace the original tires and rims with '09 sensors back on the '09 FEH. This is why you don't get a Fault until you've gone about 8 miles or so over 20mph.
I was afraid that they would not play nice together, and agree it is not worth replacing the TPMS sensors. The 08 rims had the eco-plus tires with 90% tread, which will do better than the 09 Limited rims with 56K miles on the Michelin tires. I think I will invest in a small piece of black electrical tape until I put the other back on in the spring. I went this route because there is still some good life on the Michelin's. Just not Winter life Oh, and because I saved $280 over replacing the Michelin's with new.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

How does the TPMS sensors react to nitrogen filled tires? I'm replacing the shoes on my 08 FEH next week and Fountain Tire fills them with nitrogen

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by wbonville
How does the TPMS sensors react to nitrogen filled tires? I'm replacing the shoes on my 08 FEH next week and Fountain Tire fills them with nitrogen
No problems with nitrogen.

GaryG

Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Your tires should have nitrogen in them already! Our earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen normally, who knows how much 'extra nitrogen' you'll be getting from the tire shop.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Hows about some mileage increases with Helium???

Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have nitrogen in mine and have no problems with TPMS.

Quick Reply: Ford TPMS reset tool

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands