Front click when stop and start

Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Front click when stop and start

First let me say hello since this is my fiorst post. 2006 FEH owner. 102k. Just did a bit of work so she can be with my son in 1.5 years.

Just had ptu replaced 2k miles ago. Trans fluid has been changed. New front pads.
The sound, like 2 clicks, happens as I stop. Then the 2 clicks return when I start. No performance issues, heck, she runs great. But the sound is almost like something is disengaging. What's gone through my mind as I come to a stop is that the regenerative breaking is in effect and as it disengages and allows the brakes to work I hear the noise. Hasn't gotten worse or louder but is present. Anyone have something like this happen? I've taken her back to the shop and nothing is loose, all mounts seem secure.
It doesn't do it when I shift into neutral while stopping which means the regenerative braking isn't engaged. But in D the regenerative braking is engaged (moving the charge needle) and the sound happens. This seems to mean that the sound is coming from the disengagement of the regen braking. It doesn't affect performance it seems. Thing is, all that seems to have been done which might have affected this is new trans fluid. The ptu doesn't seem to be involved in this function at all. Unless I'm wrong?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Default Re: Front click when stop and start

Originally Posted by holsgo
First let me say hello since this is my fiorst post. 2006 FEH owner. 102k. Just did a bit of work so she can be with my son in 1.5 years.

Just had ptu replaced 2k miles ago. Trans fluid has been changed. New front pads.
The sound, like 2 clicks, happens as I stop. Then the 2 clicks return when I start. No performance issues, heck, she runs great. But the sound is almost like something is disengaging. What's gone through my mind as I come to a stop is that the regenerative breaking is in effect and as it disengages and allows the brakes to work I hear the noise. Hasn't gotten worse or louder but is present. Anyone have something like this happen? I've taken her back to the shop and nothing is loose, all mounts seem secure.
It doesn't do it when I shift into neutral while stopping which means the regenerative braking isn't engaged. But in D the regenerative braking is engaged (moving the charge needle) and the sound happens. This seems to mean that the sound is coming from the disengagement of the regen braking. It doesn't affect performance it seems. Thing is, all that seems to have been done which might have affected this is new trans fluid. The ptu doesn't seem to be involved in this function at all. Unless I'm wrong?
Why did you or someone else change the transmission fluid? This is a sealed transmission and only one special fluid is approved for the life of the vehicle. Check what fluid was used, and check that it was properly filled.

GaryG

Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

I did it and I have the full service manual. The instruction stated the fluid type and I followed the manual procedure. It may be sealed but they do provide the procedure and specs. I have 102k so it was time.
PS..I did see a couple threads on here about this same issue but never saw a resolution.

Last edited by holsgo; 05-07-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As I understand the clicks are usually from worn suspension ball joints, end links, or front struts. If it doesn't affect handling you may just want to get used to it. Otherwise you can rebuild the front suspension to have the sound come back a few years later.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Feral Engineer

I don't know if this the same issue, but here is what I found out on mine.

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18980

My noise goes away in warm weather and seems to reappear when it is cold.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

I'll have to look at those 2 things. I ain't seem to isolate it other than its seemingly part of the regen braking. But, before I say that let me check the above. I wish he last couple threads that had this posted he conclusion. Their descriptions were identical.