FWD Ford Escape Hybrid in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default FWD Ford Escape Hybrid in snow?

Hello Ford Escape Owners

Anyone ski?
I have a Prius and a Highlander 4wd that is very good in the snow and an considering a Ford Escape Hybrid

1) How is the Ford Escape Hybrid FWD in the snow?

I would prefer to buy the FWD as it is so much better on gas but worry that it might be slippery on snow and ice
Any comments?

2) I heard a rumor that Mercruy Mariner uses same body/ engine etc as the FEH? Is this true

Tom

Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FWD Ford Escape Hybrid in snow?

I ski - White Mountains of NH usually although I will venture to Maine or VT now and then. You?

I can tell you from experience that the front wheel drive only version of the FEH is pretty good in snow. I drove mine through as much as 10" or more of fresh snow and didn't have any problems. This is on the stock tires. Both of my Escapes are front-wheel only and I have never been stuck or in a position where I felt AWD would have been a better choice. Stopping is the bigger worry and they are pretty sure-footed with the anti-lock brakes.

The Mariner is practically identical to the Escape only it isn't available in anything but all wheel drive. Not sure if that is the case for the V6 version but it is for the hybrid edition.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FWD Ford Escape Hybrid in snow?

I have the AWD FEH, and the month I bought it we had the worst ice storm in recent history. So I got to really put the AWD and ABS to the test.

I was very impressed. I've driven lots of 4WD, FWD, RWD vehicles, even motorcycles, through the snow and ice. I can say that the FEH has been one of the best now that I've had it through 1.5 winters.

I've heard very good things about the FWD version too though, so definitely keep investigating that option.