Getting the Front Windows Tinted

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Getting the Front Windows Tinted

Has anyone else with a Ford Escape Hybrid gotten their front windows tinted? I realized tint laws vary from state-to-state so some folks' cannot consider tint because the factory tint is as "low as you can go". My state (Texas) is one of the more lenient, permitting tint with 25% or more light transmittance (vs. some states which require 70% or more light transmittance.)

From discussion threads on other forums, I know at least one FEH owner (Gary G -- hi, Gary! ) has gotten the front -- driver's and front passenger's -- windows tinted on their Ford Escape Hybrid.

If you've had tint applied to your FEH, and you happen to know if they put felt in your window channel mouldings, please mention that. Some windows are notorious for scratching aftermarket tints (the new Ford Mustang's, for example), necessitating a little extra work by the tint shop to compensate for that. I don't know if the FEH is one and my recommended local tint shop hasn't done a FEH yet, but said they'd check it out before proceeding.

I'm seeking tint brand/type recommendations that will result in good heat reduction inside the cab and match the factory tint in color/hue as much as possible (not metallic/reflective tints). So far, I'm leaning towards a higher end tint -- Formula One 'Pinnacle' -- that's a non-conductive ceramic film and doesn't interfere with GPS signals. I suspect the conductivity is not a really factor unless one is getting the windshield tinted with a clear tint (UV protection), in which case its proximity to the GPS receiver would make non-conductive tint very important, but I happen to use two GPS units and don't want to take chances. Another option is a slightly less expensive tint -- Formula One AM-30 'Comfort' series -- which is what GaryG had put on his vehicle with good results.

There are *lots* of options, as I've discovered, but I just want something that will do well at blocking some of the heat/sunlight and have a good potential of holding up for years since I'll be driving this baby for 10 years {ahem!}. I realize tint's degrade over time, but my vehicle is garaged during the day when not in use and the same is true with our tinted Ford F-150 pickup, whose tint is 6 years old and counting with no ill effects (the dealership did that tint job, and we have no idea what kind of tint was applied, but it still looks good/performs well.)

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-22-2006 at 07:09 AM. Reason: GPS related note
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Default Re: Getting the Front Windows Tinted

Sorry this may be a dumb question.... but has the Tinting shop done a Regular Escape? They've been out for years so you'd think they had by now, and I can't think there'd be much difference.

I live in MI.... I think (though I haven't checked lately) we are one of the states where they are rather restrictive of window tinting . In fact I was fairly suprised how dark the back windows are on mine.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Sorry this may be a dumb question.... but has the Tinting shop done a Regular Escape? They've been out for years so you'd think they had by now, and I can't think there'd be much difference.
Nope, not a dumb question at all. I haven't replied to the tint shop yet (we're exchanging emails; I haven't gotten to the point of bringing my FEH for an estimate/appointment.) I have a feeling they were erring on the safe side, and since they've never worked on a FEH they want to see one first-hand before saying it's A-OK and won't require more prep work than an ICE-only Escape. My sense is the same as yours -- the body of the FEH is *so* similar to the ICE-only Escape, I can't imagine the window gaskets being any different... but ya never know.

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I live in MI.... I think (though I haven't checked lately) we are one of the states where they are rather restrictive of window tinting . In fact I was fairly suprised how dark the back windows are on mine.
Yes, the rear and liftgate windows on the FEH are quite dark. I haven't researched a bunch, but from reading Texas' tint laws it seems like most states allow darker-than-'normal' tints on windows behind the driver if they came that way from the factory. Also, some states (Texas) don't have a limit on how dark the rear lift gate window can be, as long as the vehicle has two functional sideview mirrors. (That would explain some of the driving habits I observe on our roadways, but that's a topic for another thread! )

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-22-2006 at 07:39 AM. Reason: fixed quoting error
Old 06-22-2006, 12:09 PM

I had a local shop tint my front windws to 20%(that matched the factory tint perfectly). With that & the addition of in-channel vent shades, my vehicle stays noticeably cooler & needs a lot less A/C.

Mine did not need the felt mod & has not scratched the tint at all.

20% is not really legal here(upstate NY), but I have had three vehicles done that way & never had a problem.

~John

Old 06-22-2006, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info, John. I hadn't asked Gary about whether or not he needed felt or had any issues with scratching, so you're the first to report back on that particular aspect. Do you remember what tint brand/name you got? No biggie if not; I trust a good tint place to pick a good tint, given my criterion.

I had a feeling our factory tint was that dark (20% light transmittance). Actually, it's probably even darker, since the front windows are slightly tinted from the factory and if you have a perfect match with add'l tint applied to those windows, that means the rear windows and liftgate window are probably more like 13% light transmittance.

I'm going to stay legal, just because I know the local PD in my area and they've been known to stop for all sorts of things... although they certainly don't stop for burned out headlights 'cuz I see at least five vehicles every evening with a headlight burned out.

I'm going to set up an appointment in the next 2-3 weeks and I'll post a follow-up when that's done.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-22-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 06-23-2006, 05:08 AM

I also did the top band of the windshield to match the front side windows when I had them done. No interference with the NAV system, but in the center section where the highest concentrations of the black "dots" are the film looks a bit cloudy. Certainly not bad enought that I would remove it, but not perfect. I was warned about this ahead of time.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I also did the top band of the windshield to match the front side windows when I had them done. .

I had that done also, I haven't noticed any cloudiness in mine.

~John