GPS antenna location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS antenna location?

when I download the mp3 file I get a screen full of gobbledeegook. Presumably "code". I think you probably put it on a CD and insert it in the player to "upgrade" the software/firmware. I know that many home DVD players are updated this way.

The Nav software file is actually a zip full of txt files explaining what the file does and then another file that is all hex codes. Way beyond me....

Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Of course that's part of the problem, we all have different personalities and needs. You know where you want to go, and seek help in getting there. I sometimes flounder about, and then wonder where I am.

On the list of desirables, one of the things my Garmin Street Pilot had (that Visteon doesn't) was a house-number display. It's not at all uncommon to be looking for 1234 Elm Street, and find yourself on Elm Street in the dark, looking for visible house numbers. The Garmin provided a running display of the numbers, which was helpful. Visteon has the information, since the NAV function uses it, but doesn't display it. That's an urban and suburban problem. At the other extreme, I have found myself on a barren hillside in Nevada writing down the lat/long (from my hiking GPS), so I could later find it on the topo. People have different needs, often the same person at different times, and that's why flexibility of input and output is desirable. The information is all in there. Of course the other side of that coin is that flexibility makes the device harder to learn to use. (Someone once quipped that the real genius of the Japanese was on display when they made 35mm cameras even Americans could operate.)

But making more information available, even if you have to work for it, has got to be a social good. Why don't we coordinate a wish list, and try to influence the next model? (The current issue of Science News features an article about why fish move in schools, birds fly in squadrons, and locusts swarm. Turns out that if only a few know where they want to go, it is enough to move the crowd.

I'm rambling.

Hal

Originally Posted by ltleelim
Well, a latitude/longitude display would be nice, but we already can see that on our handheld GPS unit. For us, it's really frustrating to have an onboard GPS unit with street maps, but not be able to navigate to specific coordinates.

Visteon website: http://www.visteon.com/
Visteon Navigation Radio: http://www.visteon.com/products/auto...navradio.shtml
Visteon Contact Form: http://www.visteon.com/utils/contact...tus_form.shtml

I sent them another polite message today. Who knows if anything will happen, but at least it only takes a minute or two to write them a note.

Lloyd

Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by hallewis
On the list of desirables, one of the things my Garmin Street Pilot had (that Visteon doesn't) was a house-number display. It's not at all uncommon to be looking for 1234 Elm Street, and find yourself on Elm Street in the dark, looking for visible house numbers. The Garmin provided a running display of the numbers, which was helpful. Visteon has the information, since the NAV function uses it, but doesn't display it.
Yea, I have a Garmin too, and that is an interesting feature. However, the Garmin just approximates house numbers, but taking the house number range and evenly dividing it for the length of the street. I know that by doing it that way, it is actually off by 12 for my own house number. However, I guess if one is on a street where everyone has exactly the same road footage, it might work better.

The Visteon NAV does have that "where am I" button, and it will show the house number. However, I think it isn't any more accurate than the Garmin.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Yea, I have a Garmin too, and that is an interesting feature. However, the Garmin just approximates house numbers, but taking the house number range and evenly dividing it for the length of the street. I know that by doing it that way, it is actually off by 12 for my own house number. However, I guess if one is on a street where everyone has exactly the same road footage, it might work better.

The Visteon NAV does have that "where am I" button, and it will show the house number. However, I think it isn't any more accurate than the Garmin.
Hi - Newbie here, just got my FEH on Monday. Can't you see house numbers by pressing the current location button? Or is that just intersections? I'll try it on the way home.

Colin

Old 12-15-2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by CCRGMac
Hi - Newbie here, just got my FEH on Monday. Can't you see house numbers by pressing the current location button?
Yep. That's what I called "where am I" button.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by hallewis
I'd like a thousdand of us to e-mail Ford about the information flow, but they don't even have an e-mail address (or even a snail-mail address) to which constructive suggestions can be sent. But I have found in the past that a letter addressed personally to the CEO usually gets read by somebody.
WFord@Ford.com at least was Bill Ford's email address when he was CEO.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Also, the Nav radio software is listed if someone wants to download it and see what it is...

http://support.evisteon.com/support/..._folder_id=567
On that webpage, though interesting on its own, the links seem to be dead.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
On that webpage, though interesting on its own, the links seem to be dead.
And the newest update on that page is 2004!