HV battery pack and 12V battery discharged...how to re-charge it faster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HV battery pack and 12V battery discharged...how to re-charge it faster?

So I have a silly question. Not wanting to bring up the debate of how, or why Ford uses to jump the HV battery from the 12v battery, this is just about application.

I read that for the FEH, it is good practice to end your last trip of the day using as much of the battery as possible since when you start the car the next day, the ICE will run to get up to operating temps, and charge the battery.

So when I am running around, shopping for example, I run on battery for several hundred yards, park the car and am in the store for 10-15 minutes. When I come back, the ICE runs for 4-10 minutes before going into EV mode. I wonder if it does this to charge the HV batt. (Traction Battery?)

So here comes the silly question,
If I get to a store, and push the jump start button, when I exit the vehicle, would it reduce the amount of time the ICE must run before going back to EV mode after a 10-15 minute jaunt in the store? (based on the hypothesis that the ICE runs to charge the HV battery)

Just asking this could help keep the vehicle in EV mode between stores.
Outside temps are 60 deg, 06 mercury mariner with 45k miles.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Default Re: HV battery pack and 12V battery discharged...how to re-charge it faster?

"I read that for the FEH, it is good practice to end your last trip of the day using as much of the battery as possible since when you start the car the next day, the ICE will run to get up to operating temps, and charge the battery."

A low SoC will continue to drop below 40% down to as much as 32% during the warm-up Strategy. The lower the battery SoC is, the faster MG1 (generator) will charge the battery. If your outside air temperature (OAT) is 60F, the heat generated from a fast charge will bring your battery temperature closer to the ideal temperature of 78F. At 78F, your HV battery will operate the most efficient way charging and discharging. I always end my day with a low SoC.

"So when I am running around, shopping for example, I run on battery for several hundred yards, park the car and am in the store for 10-15 minutes. When I come back, the ICE runs for 4-10 minutes before going into EV mode. I wonder if it does this to charge the HV batt. (Traction Battery?)"

No, the engine goes back to a short warm-up Strategy and discharges the battery further. The warm-up Strategy is designed to heat the CAT faster for emissions purposes only. You want to park the FEH between short stops with a SoC of at least 43% to be able to go EV after the short warm-up Strategy. Whenever the SoC goes below 42% with the engine running, you can't go EV even when the engine is warmed-up.

"So here comes the silly question,
If I get to a store, and push the jump start button, when I exit the vehicle, would it reduce the amount of time the ICE must run before going back to EV mode after a 10-15 minute jaunt in the store? (based on the hypothesis that the ICE runs to charge the HV battery)"

This would be a waste of energy and I don't recommend it.

"Just asking this could help keep the vehicle in EV mode between stores.
Outside temps are 60 deg, 06 mercury mariner with 45k miles."

Not help at all.

GaryG

Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: HV battery pack and 12V battery discharged...how to re-charge it faster?

After reading through this entire thread, I have a general question (unless I missed it somewhere... if so, my apologies!)

Fact: My 2010 FEH DOES NOT HAVE the "uh-oh" jump-start button (I've looked for it!). The owners manual just says basically "go ahead and jump start as you would an ordinary car." No special action needed.

Fact: When I bought the car (Apr. 2011) it was a new-car "leftover", had been sitting on the dealer lot for ??? months. Probably never touched. When we first looked at it, it was completely dead... not even any IP lights. Of course the ICE didn't even make an attempt to start. The salesman called to their shop and a tech came out with a little portable 12V battery pack (looked to me like the kind you can get at Sears). I now wish to heaven that I had stuck around to see the process, but I went with the salesman inside at that point. A few minutes later, the tech brought the car around to the front door, all running good as new, and we went for a test drive. (I bought it - got a pretty good deal on it as a last-years-model. It's been trouble-free ever since, at about 21,000 miles).

Now, question: What exactly has changed? Is there now an automatic HV charge (or heater)? If so, how does the car know it's being jump started? I don't *have* to know, just curious!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Richard, your HV battery was not dead, only the 12V was dead. When the tech jumped started the 12V battery, that allowed the contacts to close so the HV battery could start the FEH. It is my belief that the HV battery has a safety SoC level to prevent it from discharging below 32% which is plenty of charge to start the engine. I've drained my '05 and '09 FEH HV batteries and the '05 can drain below 32%, but the '09 will stop discharging at 32%.

Example: I ran out of gas in both my FEH's. The '05 battery dropped below 32% when I drove in EV to get gas. The '09 dropped speed as I got closer to 32% SoC and stopped all power at 32%. In both cases, the 12V started the engine after adding gas.

GaryG

Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It would make little sense to NOT have a DC-DC UPCONVERTER to restore at least a minimum charge to the HV battery from the 12 volt "jump".

Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by GaryG
Richard, your HV battery was not dead, only the 12V was dead. When the tech jumped started the 12V battery, that allowed the contacts to close so the HV battery could start the FEH. It is my belief that the HV battery has a safety SoC level to prevent it from discharging below 32% which is plenty of charge to start the engine. I've drained my '05 and '09 FEH HV batteries and the '05 can drain below 32%, but the '09 will stop discharging at 32%.

Example: I ran out of gas in both my FEH's. The '05 battery dropped below 32% when I drove in EV to get gas. The '09 dropped speed as I got closer to 32% SoC and stopped all power at 32%. In both cases, the 12V started the engine after adding gas.

GaryG
I ran into something similar on my 07 FEH when I was testing to see if I could charge my camper battery off the FEH by connecting a jumper between the 12 v battery in the FEH and the camper battery, then just turning the key to "ON" without starting the engine. When the SOC got into the low 30's range, it quit charging the 12 v batteries. So, there must be a SOC protection built into the logic.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by davidsamhoon2020
We found 6 month ago an excellent Toyota Technician /Joe in San Antonio Texas at Prius hybrid battery rebuild , they rebuilt my wife's 2006 Toyota Prius with 185K Miles for only $1,975 include labor and core !! with 12 month unlimited miles warranty!! also they rebuilt my 2007 Toyota Camry hybrid battery for $2,390 Cash since they don't accept check or credit cards!! we paid cash and we got a cash receipt and 12 month unlimited miles warranty for each vehicle .We're driving our both Toyota form 6 month ago without any problems whatsoever.
Call them and ask for Joe they're very nice people and very professional.
they have a good reviews on Google plus this is how we found them :
we were searching for Prius hybrid battery replacement in Texas
https://plus.google.com/117658486399...87/about?hl=en
Good Luck !
Joe, welcome to the forum. You don't need to pretend to be a customer, just tell us what you do.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by travelover
Joe, welcome to the forum. You don't need to pretend to be a customer, just tell us what you do.
The guy is in Detroit and took two vehicles to Texas for service???

Old 04-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Billyk;235392]
Originally Posted by FjordHybrid

However, I did two jump starts and saw the following:

SoC did not change at all. Battery temp did not change at all. HV Battery voltage changed, going from 328 to 338. 12V dropped from 12.7 to 11.7. quote]

What was your SOC and HV battery temperature prior to the first jump start?

How to charge a 2009 Ford escape hybrid battery without a push button to charge just standard jump ? 12v to 12v ?

Last edited by Buynsellcloudcom; 04-06-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Billyk;235392]
Originally Posted by FjordHybrid

However, I did two jump starts and saw the following:

SoC did not change at all. Battery temp did not change at all. HV Battery voltage changed, going from 328 to 338. 12V dropped from 12.7 to 11.7. quote]

What was your SOC and HV battery temperature prior to the first jump start?
How do you charge or jump a high voltage hybrid battery in 2009 Ford escape hybrid which Ford has removed the push to charge button just do standard 12v to 12v jump the high voltage battery is weak and can not start the car

Quick Reply: HV battery pack and 12V battery discharged...how to re-charge it faster?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands