Loss of Power in Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Loss of Power in Left Turn

I've had a very intermittent problem with my 2008 AWD. It shows up maybe a couple times a year. I will be in the process of making a left turn, and I have the wheel turned left, and am accelerating into the turn. All of a sudden I lose the power steering, acceleration, and braking power. I can't seem to steer (the vehicle continues at the last wheel position), and the vehicle slows. I realize the FEH has electric steering, so it can't be this, but it feels as if a traditional power steering pump failed - but also affects the other systems.

It clears up after I take my foot off the accelerator, but in most instances I've had to make a wider turn before I regain control of the steering (it takes a couple of seconds to recover). It never happens at speed, only through the turn, and so far only left turns.

This situation comes up when I need to accelerate through the turn to clear a traffic light changing or oncoming traffic, which raises the pucker factor considerably.

Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of Power in Left Turn

I'd recommend having a Ford dealer pull codes from all modules as a first step, then go from there. I'd never heard of this problem before so searched some things just in case we ever experience this problem. Some threads listed checking for a blown EPAS fuse, but no mention of which one it is, so check labeling in the fuse box to verify.

Post #19 on this thread showed a loose ground as the problem.
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/sho...-Failure/page2

Post # 7 on this thread showed the power steering harness and computer module as the problem.
http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/es...d-problems.php

There isn't much else definitive online about actually resolving the issue, but it sounds from all the sites and complaints that it's not an uncommon problem. Sure would be nice if people would update their threads with results!

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 10-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I've had a very intermittent problem with my 2008 AWD. It shows up maybe a couple times a year. I will be in the process of making a left turn, and I have the wheel turned left, and am accelerating into the turn. All of a sudden I lose the power steering, acceleration, and braking power. I can't seem to steer (the vehicle continues at the last wheel position), and the vehicle slows. I realize the FEH has electric steering, so it can't be this, but it feels as if a traditional power steering pump failed - but also affects the other systems.

It clears up after I take my foot off the accelerator, but in most instances I've had to make a wider turn before I regain control of the steering (it takes a couple of seconds to recover). It never happens at speed, only through the turn, and so far only left turns.

This situation comes up when I need to accelerate through the turn to clear a traffic light changing or oncoming traffic, which raises the pucker factor considerably.

Any ideas?
I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Making a left hand turn and lose all power and my steering wheel is basically locked. Scared the living s**t out of me the first time it happened as I was trying to make a left after waiting 10 minutes.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wbonville
I've had the exact same thing happen to me. Making a left hand turn and lose all power and my steering wheel is basically locked. Scared the living s**t out of me the first time it happened as I was trying to make a left after waiting 10 minutes.
I'm due for an oil change soon and will mention it. I have noticed in the past that the scanguage loses power, which makes me suspect a ground. Actually, after recovering, I noticed that the scanguage was starting up - I didn't actually see it dead. I was too busy trying to steer and brake.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM

This will certainly put a damper on racing your FEH in a NASCAR event.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Ignoring irrelevant replies, I should also mention that it has only happened when the engine was hot. In one case the car would have been kicking into the engine mode, in the last instance I was turning while slowing, and was in EV mode.

But the engine was warmed up in both cases.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Just heard back from the dealer. They found no trouble codes, but are replacing the Power Steering control module in the steering wheel. Paid for under my extended warranty.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Just heard back from the dealer. They found no trouble codes, but are replacing the Power Steering control module in the steering wheel. Paid for under my extended warranty.
That very odd as the Ford Service Manual states that no components of the EPAS system can replaced. They "supposedly" replace the whole steering column and all unless they have changed their minds about this.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
That very odd as the Ford Service Manual states that no components of the EPAS system can replaced. They "supposedly" replace the whole steering column and all unless they have changed their minds about this.
No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary

Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary
That HV battery pack vs cooling fans is exactly what I had in mind also.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands