Loss of Power in Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Originally Posted by GaryG
No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary
Well, I just hope this is actually the problem! It is really scary to have the steering and brakes cut out and just start gliding slowly across a busy intersection - and since it only happens on a left turn, that means going across oncoming lanes...

The service rep was very nice. Even though they found no codes, he spoke with Ford and got them to replace the module - which means my rental car was also covered.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
No Bill, it's not odd, when Ford has to pay for it the rules change. Ford says the HV battery cannot be repaired either, but if it's on their tab, they fix it. Ford plays these games all the time. Forget what the workshop manual says, Ford changes the rules when they pay for it. If you must pay for it, Ford changes their mind!

Gary
IIRC the electrical diagram shows the EPAS motor and module as one complete unit. Unless "somehow" it can be removed??

Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Just got the FEH back. Said they replaced part number CL8Z3C529B Column Asy Steering.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Just got the FEH back. Said they replaced part number CL8Z3C529B Column Asy Steering.
That sounds like I first stated or the whole thing.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 AM

Yes, that is the entire steering column assembly. Amazon carries an aftermarket replacement steering/torque sensor for it:

http://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Steering...ata/B00FFDUVKG

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Imported from Detroit

A Ford dealer will go by the book unless Ford tells them otherwise.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Well, it is interesting. The power steering is quite different since the repair. For one thing, it has much more resistance than the old one; it seems to take more effort to turn and it does not go to from side to side as quickly. For another, the FEH now turns about a full foot wider in the radius. I noticed it yesterday when I was making a U-Turn; I had to stop and back up, where before I could just make the turn in a single move. Of course, it is possible I just need to adjust the amount of steering pressure before making the turn; maybe I'm just not getting the wheel all the way over before starting.

I'm wondering if they changed the steering column programming / design sometime after they started seeing problems in the 2008-2009 models. It is certainly different.

EDIT: I'm also thinking that this may be why Ford corporate approved the warranty repair, even though no codes were present and the dealer could not reproduce the problem...

Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Imported from Detroit

Sounds like they made it less sensitive or added more over steer to it. At one time I had a '73 Blazer and a '78 Corvette, talk about a difference in steering!!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
Sounds like they made it less sensitive or added more over steer to it. At one time I had a '73 Blazer and a '78 Corvette, talk about a difference in steering!!
I'm not quite sure I can describe it correctly, but it seems to be different when turning left. At certain speeds and angles, it doesn't turn as quickly or set the wheels as far left. At other times it seems normal (i.e., like before). I suspect it is programmed somehow to prevent the problems I was having. I'm not the first to have the problem with the steering cutting out in left turns...

Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This seems closely associated with the problem where the power steering boost completely quits without warning. I've now heard the steering column assembly that will be put in my '09 is the eighth revision of this assembly. Sounds like Ford is having trouble pinpointing or resolving the problem. Maybe they're delaying a recall until they know for sure they can fix the problem with certainty. Maybe they should ask Toyota how they resolved this problem on their hybrids.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands