Loss of Power in Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Further update: The changes are to both directions, not just left. I am actually have a hard time parallel parking the car because the wheels just don't seem to turn as far in either direction as they used to. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, but that turning radius is significantly reduced...

Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Further update: The changes are to both directions, not just left. I am actually have a hard time parallel parking the car because the wheels just don't seem to turn as far in either direction as they used to. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it, but that turning radius is significantly reduced...
Steve, it sounds like you should check the specs on your turning radius and compare it. If it's not right, take it back to the dealer and have it fixed right. I would not except what you are describing.

Gary

Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Steve, it sounds like you should check the specs on your turning radius and compare it. If it's not right, take it back to the dealer and have it fixed right. I would not except what you are describing.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I'll think about it. The thing is, there are parts of the new programming I like. Specifically, at highway speeds, the wheel seems harder to turn - which is a good thing. I was on vacation a few years ago and swerved to miss something in the road. The FEH really leaned, and I learned that I have to think about how fast I turn the wheel at 75 MPH. With the new programming, I don't think this will happen; the wheel seems less sensitive at higher speeds. I would now allow my children to drive it on the highway (when they get their license); before this change, I would not have allowed it except for an experienced driver.

So I'm considering mentioning it to the dealer, but I don't actually think it is an error - I think Ford changed it deliberately.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My '09 FEH has had the new steering column for a few days now and a fair amount of driving. I know it was changed because I have 100% trust in the garage and I saw the old one in a box. I can't detect any problem or change in the dynamics, or any of the vehicle's other systems except for a few minor things like having to reset the clock.

The column assembly, or rack, is the same for '08 to '12, and this assembly has six or eight different part numbers. Which means it keeps getting updated or replaced. If you have to do one of these repairs, make sure you get the latest assembly. (Of course, that means people who don't know to check will get the older ones.)

Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by xspirit
My '09 FEH has had the new steering column for a few days now and a fair amount of driving. I know it was changed because I have 100% trust in the garage and I saw the old one in a box. I can't detect any problem or change in the dynamics, or any of the vehicle's other systems except for a few minor things like having to reset the clock.

The column assembly, or rack, is the same for '08 to '12, and this assembly has six or eight different part numbers. Which means it keeps getting updated or replaced. If you have to do one of these repairs, make sure you get the latest assembly. (Of course, that means people who don't know to check will get the older ones.)
Interesting. I did not have to reset my clock or anything else after the repair.

I think they may have done something to my CPU as well; the MPG went up after the steering was fixed - although there was no indication on the service receipt. But the MPG immediately got better by almost 2 MPG, with no changes in my driving style.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Interesting. I did not have to reset my clock or anything else after the repair.

I think they may have done something to my CPU as well; the MPG went up after the steering was fixed - although there was no indication on the service receipt. But the MPG immediately got better by almost 2 MPG, with no changes in my driving style.
If a PCM reflash was required after the repair, you'd get the latest version for your VIN which "might" improve MPG.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast

SD,

Very interesting post... I've had my power steering quit twice while underway - both times while in electric drive. It required restarting the motor to restore it. It's been OK now for about a month. I've worked as a professional mechanic (for about 20 years before changing over to IT in the mid-90's). So I understand basic power steering - the systems in this car throw me and it's been great for 125K so I haven't had to really get into it besides basic maintenance at the dealer.

Now that our extended warranty is over, I've had to replace the MECS pump and am acutely aware of the extreme prices the dealer charges for minor repairs on the FEH models. Ours is 2008 2WD.

I'm guessing the power steering pump is electrically run similar to the hybrid "torque converter" system for lack of a better term. Why it would quit without the electric drive stalling I'll have to research. Maybe someone here understands the system - Ford and Toyota do their best to keep it a mystery.

As for turning radius, I love the tight turning radius on our Escape, it's tighter than my wifes Mini Cooper. But the steering column replacement and lack of turning radius may be a clue. Hitting the max on a turn, "jerky" maneuver, or combination there of may be causing a sensor in the steering column to temporarily fail. It would be interesting if your service manager could shed some light on the issue.

I'm concerned because my wife sometimes drives our FEH, and when the steering quits it drives like a tank. It's only happened twice - but that has been in the last 6 months. I also hate to give the dealer $1K for a job I can do for under $300 (like the MECS pump).

Thanks for your detailed info...

Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Imported from Detroit

EPAS isn't a electric pump but a electric motor of sorts.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tothemax
SD,

Very interesting post... I've had my power steering quit twice while underway - both times while in electric drive. It required restarting the motor to restore it. It's been OK now for about a month. I've worked as a professional mechanic (for about 20 years before changing over to IT in the mid-90's). So I understand basic power steering - the systems in this car throw me and it's been great for 125K so I haven't had to really get into it besides basic maintenance at the dealer.

Now that our extended warranty is over, I've had to replace the MECS pump and am acutely aware of the extreme prices the dealer charges for minor repairs on the FEH models. Ours is 2008 2WD.

I'm guessing the power steering pump is electrically run similar to the hybrid "torque converter" system for lack of a better term. Why it would quit without the electric drive stalling I'll have to research. Maybe someone here understands the system - Ford and Toyota do their best to keep it a mystery.

As for turning radius, I love the tight turning radius on our Escape, it's tighter than my wifes Mini Cooper. But the steering column replacement and lack of turning radius may be a clue. Hitting the max on a turn, "jerky" maneuver, or combination there of may be causing a sensor in the steering column to temporarily fail. It would be interesting if your service manager could shed some light on the issue.

I'm concerned because my wife sometimes drives our FEH, and when the steering quits it drives like a tank. It's only happened twice - but that has been in the last 6 months. I also hate to give the dealer $1K for a job I can do for under $300 (like the MECS pump).

Thanks for your detailed info...
Yes, the steering column is a very expensive job. You can help get it covered under recall by reporting yours to the NHTSA's website. More important than the money, people's lives may depend on this being recalled.

I'm guessing there have been enough failures to force Ford to do a recall - if everyone who has had this happen reported it. And if that doesn't work, there should be a class-action lawsuit. Toyota hybrids suffered this and they did a recall with no fuss.

Mine failed while driving steeply uphill, so the ICE was running. I was negotiating moderately sharp corners with no jerking or hitting the limits of the steering.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

I just looked up this part on Amazon. I'll need to look in the parts manual to see where inthe column is it installed from the look of plug I would think it's an interior part (on the steering wheel end of the column). But who knows, it just doesn't look like a part that would be mounted on the exterior.

Do we know if the issue is with the sensor or with the steering column itself. The column is basically a tube with a shaft and bearings - not much that could cause an electrical component to fail unless the wires are rubbing or the sensor does not fit the housing correctly.

It makes a big difference because pulling and replacing a steering column is a lot of work, particularly if you need to be aware of a high voltage circuit in close proximity. The option of replacing a $160 sensor possibly on steering wheel end of the column is a much better option than paying Ford the price of a full replacement. So it would be good to know if anyone has the details.

I will report our steering issue.

Last edited by tothemax; 12-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands