Loss of Power in Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Loss of Power in Left Turn

Originally Posted by tothemax
I just looked up this part on Amazon. I'll need to look in the parts manual to see where inthe column is it installed from the look of plug I would think it's an interior part (on the steering wheel end of the column). But who knows, it just doesn't look like a part that would be mounted on the exterior.

Do we know if the issue is with the sensor or with the steering column itself. The column is basically a tube with a shaft and bearings - not much that could cause an electrical component to fail unless the wires are rubbing or the sensor does not fit the housing correctly.

It makes a big difference because pulling and replacing a steering column is a lot of work, particularly if you need to be aware of a high voltage circuit in close proximity. The option of replacing a $160 sensor possibly on steering wheel end of the column is a much better option than paying Ford the price of a full replacement. So it would be good to know if anyone has the details.

I will report our steering issue.
Thanks for reporting it.

Though I've seen a comment on some forum that the electronic control module on the steering column can be replaced without replacing the whole assembly, that was the only exception to the remedy of replacing the whole thing. Ford people were involved with my repair, and there was never any mention of anything short of replacing the whole column.

It seems odd (and wasteful) to have to replace such a substantial assembly of very dissimilar parts (electronic and mechanical), but only Ford knows why.

You'd even think there would be a core exchange value to the original assembly, but that's not the case. Or that Ford would be interested in looking at it to see what went wrong. My mechanic is going to hold onto mine for a couple of years, which is the limitation for starting a small claims suit.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

More Escape troubles. I have the power steering issue too. They found no error codes but want me to spend $2200 to replace the column, with no guarantees. I plan to take it to another dealer. Any more detail on the loose ground issue? We checked the fuses and they seem fine. I'd like them to try all "cheap" options if possible. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FLgrl
More Escape troubles. I have the power steering issue too. They found no error codes but want me to spend $2200 to replace the column, with no guarantees. I plan to take it to another dealer. Any more detail on the loose ground issue? We checked the fuses and they seem fine. I'd like them to try all "cheap" options if possible. Thanks.
You should fill in your profile so we know what model and year you have. I gather it is before the recall applies?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

Oh Sorry. Recall?? I have a 2007 AWD Escape.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Supposedly doesn't apply to your year, but worth mentioning:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-2011-a-29700/

Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FLgrl
Yes, there is a current recall for loss of power steering boost, but does not apply to any Escapes older than 2008. Your situation may indicate that the recall has to be widened. At minimum you should report the failure to NHTSA or safercars.org in the US, or Transport Canada.

Also, try doing some research on the Internet to see if this is happening to other 2007's. Good luck with it.