Low SoC Event

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Low SoC Event

I had a strange thing happen in my 2009 FEH this evening when I started the car to go home from work. When I started out and pressed on the accelerator, there was a slight delay before the car would accelerate. The happened a couple of times right after I pulled out. Didn't hear anything unusual from the engine, just a slight delay before I felt the car speed up.

I happened to look at the SoC on my SG-II and was at 27! I've never seen it that low before. When I parked in the morning it was down to around 40 (lots of EV as I drove up several levels in the garage at work). What would account for that significant a drop?

By the time I got to the bottom of the parking garage SoC was up well into the 30's and within a sort period of time I could go EV. Everything seemed normal the rest of the way home.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low SoC Event

HAppened to me last year:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-can-go-21731/

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Hi Rick

Looks like your HV battery continued to drain after you turned OFF the key. Since it has only happen this one time I'd consider it a glitch in the PCM shutting down a relay or something. If it continues it may be a bad ground. I've also experienced a lower than normal SoC after a start-up but not as low as 27%. The '09 FEH does not have a HV battery jump start procedure like the older models but it does have protection to prevent the battery from draining below 32%. I seen this when I ran out of gas and just made it to a gas pump when the electric motors stopped at 32% SoC. My '05 dropped below 32% SoC when it ran out of gas and acted like your '09 with no electric motor assist till the battery SoC went above 32%. Remember the warm-up procedure causes the engine timing to be retarded and that would explain the delay in acceleration without the electric motors providing any torque because of the low SoC.

My '09 FEH HV battery drains a little more overnight than my '05, but I think that's from all the added electronics on the '09. I'd watch your SoC more closely for a while and note the SoC before you shut down and when you restart later. It's a habit for me because it's a part of the hypermiling stuff I do. At least your '09 FEH is under warranty and if it happens anytime soon again I'd take it in for documentation for the very least.

My '09 is still running great so far without going to the dealer after 23,000 miles!

GaryG

Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Name:  recordlowsocnov1009.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  24.4 KB
I got 13.8 SOC in November 2009.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks all. And thanks Gary for the reminder about warm-up. It was the lack of power that concerned me (though I would have been concerned about the HV battery too if it had not recovered). Good illustration of how much extra oomph the electric motors provide!

All was well both this morning from home and after work this afternoon. I'll keep an eye on the SoC.

-- Rick