MECS fail warning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default MECS fail warning?

So after I got home tonight, roll into the garage, windows open, I heard a whirring/grrrring noise. I'm used to the noises it makes on EV, but this was changing pitch. Kinda reminded me of when my GPU fan was failing on my PC. So after tring to figure out where the noise was coming from (front center) I finally narrowed it down to what I assume is the MECS pump (next to the oil filter).

So is this a warning sign of it's failing? Should I just watch some SG #'s (What ones, and what is bad?) Should I have it replaced?

Mine's a 08 I bought new, just passed 37k, will be going in for an oil change soon. I have the ext warenty, will it cover it?

I'm sure after reading the wonderful post on here, I'd be capabale of DIY, but at $150+ for the pump, or $50 for ext warrenty, obviously I'd opt for cheaper.

Any other TSB's, etc I should have checked out when I go in for the oil change / pump replace?

TIA

Bryan

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Default Re: MECS fail warning?

Mine has been making that noise for several thousand miles now (31k miles total). Hasn't gotten any worse. No other indications so far, just the whirring noise.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM

That's good to know.
If it does fail, I don't think I saw an answer in the big thread, is it dead on the spot? 95% of my trips are to/from work/school all <5mi each way. If it fails, could I finish a trip? Should I keep an eye on MET? what is normal, what is bad?

Also while tracking down the noise (it was actualy hard, it was equaly loud on all sides, but could tell it was in the front), I removed the plastic hybrid cover from the plugs, founds a mouse nest next to pass side "spark plul wire' thing, what ever they are called now, and the **** thing ate the black plastic protection cover, and exposed the bare wire of one of the 2 wires inside. Any concern there? just cover with electrial tape?

If I get a better recording of the whirr/grr/wirr noise I'll post it. Hoping it was just due to the extra silent night last night, if that makes sence, it was very quiet out.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
That's good to know.
If it does fail, I don't think I saw an answer in the big thread, is it dead on the spot? 95% of my trips are to/from work/school all <5mi each way. If it fails, could I finish a trip? Should I keep an eye on MET? what is normal, what is bad?

Also while tracking down the noise (it was actualy hard, it was equaly loud on all sides, but could tell it was in the front), I removed the plastic hybrid cover from the plugs, founds a mouse nest next to pass side "spark plul wire' thing, what ever they are called now, and the **** thing ate the black plastic protection cover, and exposed the bare wire of one of the 2 wires inside. Any concern there? just cover with electrial tape?

If I get a better recording of the whirr/grr/wirr noise I'll post it. Hoping it was just due to the extra silent night last night, if that makes sence, it was very quiet out.
Bryan, the tape should be fine if the wires are not damaged, but if your talking about the plug wire on the coil, they require special insulation and that requires replacing. It will not hurt anything if that pump goes out on short trips like that and the most that will happen is the fail safe system will not let you go EV and not provide Assist from the traction motor if things get to hot. A Ford hybrid tech told me these pumps can go Off intermittently and run again also. He said he has played with the wire connections and got the pump running again but ended up just changing the pump later.

I still have the original MEC pump at 70,000 miles and I'm going to change it till it stops working. Many people have posted they hear their MEC pump went in EV in their garage, no big deal. The pump will run with the Key On without starting the engine also. Make sure the the HVAC is in the Off position so the electric heater pump is Off and not making the noise also. Any position other than Off, the heater pump will run while in EV. I keep my HVAC system in the Off position all the time to save the SoC while in EV myself.

GaryG

Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks gary, just the wire leading to the plug, so far!

Went out today and key on, pump was running, but normal noise, not the vibrating humm from last night. HVAC was off both times. Last night you could feel the vibration like on the hood release latch, and the plastic.

Will keep an ear open to more noise.

Here's the wire & sound, made with my camera phone, so not great

Name:  Image10022010112252.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  68.2 KB

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Bryan, did you have a service tech. listen to the pump when you had your 08 FEH in for service? If so, what did they say?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Finally went today for oil change/checkup.
They said the DC-DC output is normal ( I read mid 13's). Of course the MECS pump did not make the louder humm while there, but the Hybrid tech gave me a copy of a TSB (I'll post the # soon) and said they'll replace it with a new one, but have to order it first.
Also told me I needed a fule filter replaced, they say every 20k, I'm at 38 & never did it, didn't have my book to read tho. Also said 2 tires are at 4 and 2 at 6 so will need replacing soon. Brakes are all at 8mm.
So overall pretty clean bill of health.

AArrgg I hate stearships. I get my oil changed there for 1) its still in factory warrenty, no arguments that it was done since it should be looged into their computer system 2) it's only once a year, doesn't cost that much more than DIY or other places.

I normaly don't take their upsells, you need this or that, but I did do the fule filter, as I said I didn't have my book to see the reccomended schedule, he said every 20k. Well now that I have my book, it's every 100k!!!

The TSB paper I got is #80-24-5
2005-2008 Esacpe Hybrid & 2006-2008 Mariner
Supersedes 08-15-1

Last edited by 08hybridok; 10-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM

My 05 has a 30,000 mile fuel filter change interval.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
The TSB paper I got is #80-24-5
2005-2008 Esacpe Hybrid & 2006-2008 Mariner
Supersedes 08-15-1
Can someone with access please post the text for this TSB? TIA!

Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 PM

If there's not a link, I'll post a scan when I get a chance.

Cliff notes: Red triangle, code = transaxel overtemp Codes: P1A0D, P1A0F, P0A3E, P0A7C and P1A0D may also be set.
Steps: verify coolant level, pump running, if pump is not running tap it, if it starts replace, if not check voltage. if voltage is right replace pump.

Quick Reply: MECS fail warning?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands