Mileage declining - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Mileage declining - Why?

We have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid w/ approximately 8000 miles on it. To date, we are averaging about 35.5 mpg. When I fill the tank, I calculate the mileage of each tank individually and am generally within about a mile or two of that average. My last tank however, I averaged only about 31 mpg. With the exception of cooler weather and using the heat a little more, can anyone think of what would account for such a sharp drop? Earlier in the year when it was cold and we used the heat, we were up around our normal average so this seems odd.

Conditions/routes have been about the same as the previous tanks.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage declining - Why?

If the gas station has changed to "winter grade" or higher ethanol content, this could account for the drop in MPG.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree. It's time for winter blend.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is this 'winter blend' usually something that's noted at the station? I have not noticed anythig stated.

As I said in my original post (although I may not have been clear) I used the vehicle last winter and the mileage was closer to my average.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Colder and denser air results in more fuel dump at the injectors. What is the difference in temperature now from last winter and what is the time frame for the colder weather?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Colder and denser air results in more fuel dump at the injectors. What is the difference in temperature now from last winter and what is the time frame for the colder weather?
Temp now vs last winter is about the same (it's been unusually cold here recently so even though we're still in fall, we have had winter temps).

Old 11-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a mix of colder temps and different fuel. Keep a close eye out of stickers on the pump that state something like "May contain up to 10% Ethanol".

You may want to look around at other pumps in your area if you always go to the same station.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm guessing the only seasonal-related statement you're likely to see is on the diesel and E85 pumps.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Sascol-

We need to know the city and state you are using your car in.
Fuel varries quite a bit.
Not only does fuel vary from state to state, it can vary from city to city and season to season. There are over 50 blends of gasoline used in the U.S. alone. That's ONE reason why prices are high(er). Too many custom blends out there.
Temperatures will have have a big effect on MPG as well.
And it's not always gradual.
The battery operates one way above 50 degrees, and another way under 50 degrees. So you can see a drop all at once for example.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Sascol-

We need to know the city and state you are using your car in.
Fuel varries quite a bit.
Not only does fuel vary from state to state, it can vary from city to city and season to season. There are over 50 blends of gasoline used in the U.S. alone. That's ONE reason why prices are high(er). Too many custom blends out there.
Temperatures will have have a big effect on MPG as well.
And it's not always gradual.
The battery operates one way above 50 degrees, and another way under 50 degrees. So you can see a drop all at once for example.
I am in Charlotte, NC
I'm trying to compare my mileage now to when we had similar temps earlier in the year (Feb/March).

Quick Reply: Mileage declining - Why?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands