Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF

Does anybody knows where to get this ATF. It is for FEH 2009. It looks like this type of fluid has been discontinued? If so, is there a good substitute to it?
Thank you.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Default Re: Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF

Originally Posted by thanksjc
Does anybody knows where to get this ATF. It is for FEH 2009. It looks like this type of fluid has been discontinued? If so, is there a good substitute to it?
Thank you.
Just gave my dealer parts department a call and they have it. They said it has not been discontinued and if a auto store is telling you this, it's because they want to sell you a ATF that is not approved for the '09 FEH.

Mercon LV is a lifetime ATF, so why would you want to change it?

GaryG

Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Okay

Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

• Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by
Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON®
LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled
automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application
• Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality,
hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide
excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against
transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good
low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge,
lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak
detection
• Do not use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (except TorqShift®),
Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic
Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission
Fluid is recommended, or in transfer cases
• Refer to the Motorcraft® MERCON® LV specification sheet at www.motorcraft.com and
www.fmcdealer.dealerconnection.com for additional information. For MSDS information
call 1-800-448-2063
Note: MERCON® LV Automatic
Transmission Fluid is available
in bulk quantities at substantial
savings. Use of bulk oil products
is environmentally proactive.
Contact your FCSD Aftermarket
Account Manager, an approved
Motorcraft® Bulk Oil Distributor, or

Source: Motorcraft 3051R

Note bullet 3, so make sure your owners manual calls for "Mercon LV" and not Mercon V. for example my FEH, as an 06, could not use the Mercon LV.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM

See Ford's attached Transmission Fluid chart, dated Sep10.

Note that FEHs of 2009 & later call for Mercon LV (AW ECVT column). Read the label of the ATF you purchase. So long as it says something like meets requirements or spec of Ford Mercon LV its usable.

I shifted my stuff over to Amsoil a couple of years ago and am now using Amsoil ATF which meets the specs of Mercon V. I'm aware that Amsoil also makes an "LV" ATF. I would bet it meets the Ford LV specs.

There are those posting here that castigate Mobil One (which I used to use) and make statements about synthetics voiding warranties. Not true. Don't take their bait.

Read the label of the stuff you buy and buy a good brand.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
updated TSB lubricants.pdf (446.9 KB, 984 views)
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM

Stopped by and purchased some AmsOil ATF as I intend to change my transaxle fluid.

Looked at the AmsOil ATL label: it states that it meets Ford's "Mercon LV" specification.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Stopped by and purchased some AmsOil ATF as I intend to change my transaxle fluid.

Looked at the AmsOil ATL label: it states that it meets Ford's "Mercon LV" specification.
You have posted here on GH that you have used Mobil 1 ATF and now AmsOil ATF in your FEH. I think the readers here should take a look at this article before taking your recommendations:

"Automatic transmission fluids have specific viscosities, friction coefficients, and additives. ATFs are engineered to work with the design of specific automatic transmissions. They are not all the same. Moreover, if your vehicle is still under warranty, using a fluid that is not approved by the vehicle manufacturer will void the transmission warranty.

For example, Valvoline claims in its promotional materials that its DEX-MERC MaxLife ATF is "recommended for use in GM, Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Chrysler, and most import vehicles." Notice they omitted the word "all." If you put MaxLife into a vehicle that is supposed to be using Dexron VI or Mercon LV, you have voided the warranty on the transmission. Moreover, this Valvoline ATF is essentially a version of the old Dexron III and Mercon ATFs. Since 1998, Chrysler has been using a synthetic ATF, either ATF+4 or ATF+5, which Chrysler specifically says is not compatible with either Dexron or Mercon. Valvoline’s ads claim this fluid is “recommended” for Chrysler products. However, Valvoline’s own “product data sheet” (the data sheet produced for every motor oil and ATF giving its specifications, which can be found on the petroleum company’s website) says that this ATF is recommended for GM vehicles, (which use Dexron III), and Ford products (using Mercon) and does not claim this fluid is recommended for any Chrysler product, much less GM products using Dexron VI or Fords requiring Mercon LV.

Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either.
"
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s..._ID=3578&DID=6

GaryG

Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Your point?

As it turns out, I've never used Valvoline. Never had a particular reason, just didn't like their labels & advertising... So you've added a data point for me about why not to use Valvoline.

If you're seeking to imply that I said people could mix Mercon V & Mercon LV: I didn't say that. My FEH transaxle uses Mercon V and that's what I use.

I was noting for the original poster that AmsOil makes a product that he could use.

Like I said: Read the TSB, read the product label, form your own opinion.

So, once again, your point?

Last edited by Bill Winney; 06-09-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM

For reference:

After extensive research to confirm for myself that Mobil One ATF met the then Ford Mercon (now changed to Mercon V) specification I changed my FEH transaxle oil to Mobil One. This occurred in January of 2006 at an Odometer Mileage of 634.

Later, as it became progressively more difficult to find Mobil One ATF, I decided to shift to AmsOil ATF. After research to confirm that it met Mercon/Mercon V spec I did so in August of 2010 at odometer Mileage of 68014.

My 2006 FEH is now at mileage of ~97,000 and going strong. No runs, drips or errors...

I take your point of Valvoline products... and I'm glad you posted that... but that doesn't apply to any other product on the market.

The Ford Technical Service Bulletin clearly distinguishes between Mercon V and Mercon LV for use in FEH transaxles. You don't mix these and you don't use one in a transaxle designed for the other. I got it.

The introduction of Mercon LV is just another step in Detroit's march to better & better fuel mileage. If you reduce the internal drag on powertrain components you put more power to the road. This LV stuff is used in other new transmissions along with FEH transaxles. I suspect that "LV" represents low viscosity.

Bottom line: if your transmission or transaxle calls for Mercon LV use it... and if it calls for Mercon V... use that product.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hello! Denis, Russia. I have Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2008. 136000 mileage. Should i replace fluid in eCVT or not?

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands