Nav System & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav System & Bluetooth

Originally Posted by mppkll
I have the Visteon Handsfree kit (it is the same as the Parrot CK3100). First here is the link to the kit on the Visteon website:

http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...pk/index.shtml
For the bluetooth installation on FEH, is the Visteon "console" still required since info will display on the Nav screen already? I find the console ugly and out of place.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, judging by the pics, diagrams, and info I've seen there is NO info displayed on the Nav/Radio other than the word PHONE and the volume level. The call info is not transmitted to the Nav unit as far as I can tell. Only the phone mute and audio signals are connected between the Nav system and the Bluetooth unit.

I also HATE the fact that I have this useless LCD screen and will have to add yet another display unit (Sirius Starmate meet Parrot CK3100) to my dash.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
Unfortunately, judging by the pics, diagrams, and info I've seen there is NO info displayed on the Nav/Radio other than the word PHONE and the volume level. I also HATE the fact that I have this useless LCD screen and will have to add yet another display unit (Sirius Starmate meet Parrot CK3100) to my dash.
1. You mean the Visteon Console HAS TO BE installed even though the Nav/Radio already has the "bluetooth support" whatever this means?

2. If yes, where have you mount the Visteon Console?

3. I am thinking about getting Satellite later too, I am really concerned about the car getting too "clutterred" with another display unt?! iPod, Visteon console, satellite display, what next?!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
1. You mean the Visteon Console HAS TO BE installed even though the Nav/Radio already has the "bluetooth support" whatever this means?
Unfortunately, yes.

IMHO, that means that the Nav radio really isn't cell phone compatible. You need a fully independent handsfree unit, with its own display and controls.

A total disappointment. At least to me.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 AM

I don't think that Ford/Mercury advertised it as bluetooth capable....however, if they did I wouldn't be surprised (Sat. capable and MP3 capable come to mind!).

Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Parrot Bluetooth carkit

Has anybody installed a Parrot bluetooth carkit on FEH? There's a new one out with LCD display at http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/3200ls-color

I've been reading the manual at http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/pdf/3200ls-color

and installation guide at http://www.parrot.biz/usa/support/in...rer=13&etape=2

but I can't make sense of the diagrams. I have the stock NAV/Radio system, will installation of this device require pulling out the unit or meddling with the wiring behind? Will there be any chance of screwing up?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Default Re: Parrot Bluetooth carkit

there are a couple of threads here as well as a few pictures in the "share" section. According to the member who had it installed it seems like a straightforward installation if you have any car stereo install experience. It will require you to pull the unit out of the dash as there really is no other way to tap into the system without accessing the harnesses in the rear. It is pretty much just tapping into a couple of wires. The risk is, of course, tapping into the wrong wires! The LCD screen will display the name/number of the caller....the unit you mentioned also offers picture ID I think. Either way, wiring it to the Nav system in the FEH/MMH will mute the radio and allow you to hear the caller through the stereo speakers. You will also need to install the provided microphone somewhere.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ghlight=parrot

Last edited by Tim K; 10-30-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
It is pretty much just tapping into a couple of wires. The risk is, of course, tapping into the wrong wires!
Is it tapping into existing wires, or adding new wires to "missing" (ie empty) spots on the existing connector?

While tapping into wires is easy, adding pins into empty spots on a connector can be quite difficult if you don't have access to the exact right pins.

So, does anyone know the source of these???

Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 AM

According to the member who had it installed (and this is from the thread I posted above):

For the power supply they put on "vampire" type connectors (vampire connectors are clipped over an existing wire to connect to a new wire without cutting the existing wire). For the connections for the phone audio & trigger they soldered on female connectors to the wires then placed them into the correct holes on the connector plug. So the only modification to the FEH wiring was the addition of the vampire connectors for power. There was no need to cut off the unused connectors from the hands free kit so they just zip tied them out of the way.

If you have done radio installs before you should have no problem with it. Also, I'm sure that now that the connection pin outs are known that other hands free kits will work as well as long as the phone trigger is low enabled (meaning that at ground state the phone audio is on).
The installers he used tapped into the power lead, but I think there is also a seperate power supply pin in the harness that you could use. The audio wires had pins added and were plugged in. I don't think finding or installing the pins would be a problem at all. I've bought them at Radio Shack previously.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
Tim,
For the power supply they put on "vampire" type connectors (vampire connectors are clipped over an existing wire to connect to a new wire without cutting the existing wire). For the connections for the phone audio & trigger they soldered on female connectors to the wires then placed them into the correct holes on the connector plug.
I will be installing the Parrot myself so I need help on the following:

1. Does anyone have a photo or brand/model no. of this "vampire type connector"? I can't quite picture how this thing looks like by the description "...clipped over an existing wire to connect to a new wire without cutting the existing wire"

2. What does "soldered on female connectors to the wires" mean? Does anyone have an example photo of this too?

Your help and feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Nav System & Bluetooth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands