NAV system Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAV system Gripes

Why does Ford and the liablity police require the following two things -

That the car be at a dead stop to use the NAV system (enter data etc.). The car can detect when my passenger seat is occuiped so why can't it just acept inputs from the passenger when the car is in motion. I hate having to stop just to find out where I need to go.

Second why do I have to hit the liablity waiver everytime I turn on the NAV system. The accept button is always a pain in the butt to find and hit while driving, which is sort of in conflict with item #1 above.

Anyway that is my 2 cents

Oh yeah and if they just put the maps on a DVD it would sure save alot of CD storage and disk swapping.

Chris Brown

Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: NAV system Gripes

This appears to be common to all built-in navigation systems. I strongly suspect there is legislation in place to cover this.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I find this a pain as well! AND if you use are using a handsfree kit the NAV always goes back to the Radio/CD screen when ending a call, you would think that it would return to the last screen you where viewing. One other gripe.... There should not be a whole screen to tell you that the phone is in use just a indicator on the curent screen!

Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey here is another gripe......

Why can't I just turn off the radio (or CD) and use the Nav or the Fuel economy displays? If the radio is off the whole system doesn't function (except as a clock). It seems to me that I should not be forced to have the radio on (even at zero volume) just to check my gas milage.

Chris Brown

Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Angry Re: NAV system Gripes

To start off let me say I am and have been happy with the operation and usefulness of my NAV unit except for -

and I know this is an on going grip and nothing new, but it is one of my pet peeves. It is the inability of being able to access the ‘points of interest’ while the vehicle is in motion. Heck you can do almost everything but cook a pizza with it while doing 70 in heavy traffic. I know a lot of what we can do with the info screen – check the FE, how the system is functioning etc –has nothing with the NAV section of the unit. I have been in contact with Navteq (supplier of the data disk) and they say it is a ‘safety issue’. If it is a matter of having to take your eyes off the road then we shouldn’t be able to (beside all the other stuff) zoom in and out of the map screen, change from map to NAV, delete or detour your route . . . .

Generally the things I would like to have access to are things like – where is the next rest stop or nearest gas station, find a Hospital in an emergency etc. All of this is already there and no input is required – just a selection of what and which one you want. I sure wouldn’t want to have to pull over here in the Atlanta area on our GA 400 (everyone thinks that is the speed limit) to have to find the nearest hospital or other emergency location – I WOULD need them if I did pull over. I would say if you were in an emergency the safety issue would be how QUICKLY I could locate something.

There is no way of foreseeing what you might need along a trip. Did anyone find out if it is say Federal Reg on installed units or has anyone found a work around on this one?

Thanks - Phillip

Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM

Over on the yahoo site about a month or so ago, I read a blog on how to bypass the Nav. Sys. ability to know your moving. It was a simple switch installed to make this posible. I think GPS1Man may know how this is done. Ask him

GaryG

Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: NAV system Gripes

Thanks Gary -

I also remember something someone had mentioned but found out it was probably just for the Prius. Swapping out a cable under the drivers seat or something like that. I found the site and sent a request asking if it worked with the FEH and have not received anything. OH Well

I wouldn’t even mind signing a waiver releasing them from any judgments that might be caused by using the option while in motion. It has to be a programming thing and I know someone somewhere knows how to write a patch.

Phillip

Old 12-13-2005, 06:10 PM

Phillip, I checked on the site and didn't see your post (you may not have been on the right site) so I posted the question myself at
Yahoo! Groups : hybrid_ford_escape

Let see if we get an answer, go to new messages.

GaryG

Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Early Adopter

The short answer:

1. Yes you can install a switch to defeat this function by fooling the navigation into thinking you are not moving.

2. Yes there is a federal law which requires both the disclaimer and the lockout functionality.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by stevewa
The short answer:

1. Yes you can install a switch to defeat this function by fooling the navigation into thinking you are not moving.

2. Yes there is a federal law which requires both the disclaimer and the lockout functionality.

Beat me to it. I even asked about it at the FEH Experience.

Quick Reply: NAV system Gripes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands