No Power steering assist for 2 seconds.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default No Power steering assist for 2 seconds.

Hi Guys,
I own a 09 AWD ford Escape Hybrid, with 13,000 mile now.
This just happened to me on my last trip to Tahoe last weekend.
I was driving past Clear lake on my way to Tahoe and it was a curvy mountain road, as I started a turn at 55 MPH I had NO p/s assist.
I immediately hit the brakes and it came right on, so for 2 seconds the power assist did NOT work.

I drove all week in Tahoe and it did not return, BUT THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

Two months ago I was backing out of a parking lot and it happened for the first time after 2 seconds it started to work also.

Any one else had this problem.
Time to look at the NTSB site.

Mark

Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: No Power steering assist for 2 seconds.

I have also experienced this once on my 09 FEHL and I am still cleaning the seats because of it

I would like to hear if others have seen this or a recall related to it.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Called the dealer today because they have free loan cars I have to get on the wait list.
I take it in the 19th of July.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

I also have a 2WD 2009 FEH, and this happened at the 10K mile mark--just briefly in city driving. It has not happened since, and I'm at the 13K mark. I'll stay tuned on how you get this fixed. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Imported from Detroit

Was '09 the first year for electrical power steering in all Escapes?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Baby's at the the dealer today. Hope to get a call Tomorrow with some idea of what they are going to do.

Mark

Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Keep us informed.........Hope all goes well.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Imported from Detroit

If you get the old song and dance that it didn't do it on our test drive, no trouble codes and Ford never heard of the problem? Make sure you file a report at the NHTSA site.

I almost got T-boned Monday afternoon in my '09 FE while making a lefthand turn when the accelerator didn't respond, no engine revs, nothing at all. All of a sudden, it roared as I probably had it near floored by that time and just barely got out of the way of oncoming traffic!

I also noticed that their test drive was a big 1.5 mile trip too! I'd had 3 or 4 times while coasting to a stop but not fully stopping and back on the accelerator when I've felt this. I thought that it might be a not so perfect transition from DFCO but it never happened while turning before. Not sure if it's a throttle/drive by wire issue although one can find many complaints about a slight delay in accelerator response but this was slight at all!!!

I explained how/when/where it happened but they had little concern about my safety, so I filed a report with NHTSA. If they would have at least tested something but they didn't. Problems don't always generate trouble codes and that's even in their own manuals.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK I got the Song and Dance but that it what I expected. SO I will be working my way through the problem 1ST I will call ford motor company if they WILL OR won't help me out, 2ND I will file with the NTSB.
BUT if they refuse to help and ALL of us with this problem start to scream at the press
we might get someones attention.
More on that later.

Mark

Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Tigermidge
OK I got the Song and Dance but that it what I expected. SO I will be working my way through the problem 1ST I will call ford motor company if they WILL OR won't help me out, 2ND I will file with the NTSB.
BUT if they refuse to help and ALL of us with this problem start to scream at the press
we might get someones attention.
More on that later.

Mark
I haven't tried calling Ford yet but I've heard about the person that would be my area person. Their actual name was posted somewhere as being useless!

What gets me is that this like yours is no doubt a safety issue. I retired from Ford and worked in maintanence. If there was a near injury situation or a injury that happened on or with a machine, something was always done, always! It might be adding a switch, changing the program, adding a guard, etc. None of which may help the situation but at least something was tried! I our case, they blow us off and that's sad.

Quick Reply: No Power steering assist for 2 seconds.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands