Not driving my FEH

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Not driving my FEH

A few weeks ago my wife and I took a weeks vacation out to Washington state ... Seattle, Olympic NP, and Mt. Ranier NP.

We had a very enjoyable time visiting with friends & hiking in the mountians.

One thing I noticed, however, it's kind of hard to get used to NOT driving my FEH.

We rented a Ford Explorer for the week (I always like having 4wd when driving in mountains) ... and found myself trying to start the car by just turning the key and letting go ... instead of letting it crank until it started.

I also found it somewhat disconcerting driving a vehicle that doesn't LIKE to coast. My FEH driving habits just didn't work that well.

/me sure would like it if some of the car rental places had FEH's available.

david

Old 07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Not driving my FEH

I definitely know how you feel... it's the same when I'm driving the 'ol '97 Lexus ES300 instead of my Prius. The car actually does coast better than does the Prius, but there's much less control. Either you're braking, gliding or accelerating. With the Prius there are many more intermediate steps. And with Smart Entry & Start, of course, remembering the ignition is a biggie!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Not driving my FEH

Hi Dmgibbs:

___I actually look forward to the challenge of other vehicles. My daughter is a manager at Avis - O’Hare so I occasionally get the chance to test drive all kinds of SUV’s, sedans, and coupes for short distances. I was driving an 05 Mustang the other day although it didn’t have any FE gauges so I had no idea what I was receiving. I used to be able to drive some of these rentals (with our daughter along of course) for much longer distances before my son graduated from the U of I last year. The Mercury Mountaineer is worth a lot more on the road then the EPA would suggest using some of the hypermiling techniques we have come to know and love. The Buick LeSabre is another automobile worth far more then you would think given its lowly EPA … No matter what conventional vehicle you drive, do not forget that a forced autostop is only a shift and a turn back of the key away

___Just one thread of many that might interest you possibly?

Can't wait. Other options?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net