Oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oil filter question

I bought some Mobil-1 5W-20 and the oil filter for the first oil change on my 2009 FEH. Per page 303 in the owner's manual, it shows that you can use either a FL-910 or FL-2017B oil filter. I bought the FL-2017B, since that is the one that is mentioned in several places in this forum.

I looked at the FL-910 and it is the kind of filter I'm used to seeing - with the metal thread and everything self-contained. So I'm a little confused - is the FEH set up so you can use either the 910 or the 2017B? If so, is the 2017B preferred?

I'm going to give the oil and filter to my regular mechanic and have him do the oil change - I don't trust the oil change shops, since on more than one occasion they didn't tightened the oil plug correctly on other vehicles I have owned.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter question

According to what I've seen, the Motorcraft FL2017B is used on Escape Hybrids produced before 12-3-08, so that would include early 2009's.

The Motorcraft FL910 is used on units produced after 12-3-08.

They are not interchangeable. If you don't know when your vehicle was produced, you can ask your service advisor to run an OASIS report on your VIN. Your build date and in-service date will be on the report.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Red.

I called the dealer and my build date was 10-22-08, so it looks like I'll be using the 2017 filter.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

I have about 5,000 miles on my FEH, but it occurred to me that with a build date of Oct, 2008, I should have had my oil changed 2 months ago because at that time the vehicle already had 12 months on the oil from the factory.

The next time I buy a new vehicle (which could be a while) I should find out the build date and base the first oil change from that point, not when it was bought.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A semi-related question. I have an 08, built long time ago, is there an easy way to see if the dealer really changed the filter? I pulled the dipstick out about a week later (really busy, dealer is 30min drive away, had to get to work, etc) and I was expecting new oil color, almost clear, and it was tree sapish amber all ready. So I poked my head under the car to see what the filter canister looked like, and I guess the canister stays, just the guts are replaced? I'm not to worried, I had it changed at or before the 10k interval, it's logged into the Ford computer database (I can see it on MyFord) so if it wasn't done and it's a problem I can point to Dealer/Ford and say I did my part.

Just curious

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wolfy, you are ok. It is highly unlikely the vehicle was started frequently where it might have accumulated moisture. Just sitting doesn't affect the oil or the filter too much.

Short hops that don't warm the engine up to full operating temperature are more detrimental than sitting. You need any moisture and blow-by gasses to flash off and not mix/foam in the oil.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Red
According to what I've seen, the Motorcraft FL2017B is used on Escape Hybrids produced before 12-3-08, so that would include early 2009's.

The Motorcraft FL910 is used on units produced after 12-3-08.

They are not interchangeable. If you don't know when your vehicle was produced, you can ask your service advisor to run an OASIS report on your VIN. Your build date and in-service date will be on the report.
Thanks Red

I didn't know the date when Ford changed to the FL910 filter and I also thought it was a either or the FL2017B. Walmart sells 5W20 Mobil 1 (now $22) and the FL2017 filter for less than $5. The month and year the FEH was built is on the drivers door and the day, month and year is on the widow sticker if you kept that.

On my '05 FEH I never had a problem using ramps for the front wheels to change the oil. Changed the oil and filter for the first time in my '09 and noticed a big drop in mileage. I used 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5-20W and Ford did change the amount from 4 1/2 quarts in the 2.3L to 5 quarts in the new 2.5L. After confirming my mileage had dropped I decided to change the oil back to the factory Motorcraft 5-20W blend. I checked the dipstick just before draining the oil and found the level at the Max line. I had check the dipstick after the first change and must not have allowed all the oil enough time to drain down to the pan. To make a story short, the 2.5L oil can not be drained while on front wheel ramps. The angle traps at least one quart of oil somewhere in the engine. I drained 4 1/2 quarts while on the ramps and the Mobil 1 looked like it was mixed with the old oil. I added 4 quarts which was only 1/2 quart less and the mileage increased, but the oil level was still too high. Never had a problem draining oil on my ramps so Ford changed something in the 2.5L engine.

The bottom line is the new 2.5L engine must be on level ramps or ground to drain the oil. Just changed the oil again at 17,000 miles on level ground but access was limited. Added 5qt of Mobil 1 5W20 and the level after running the FEH was between the Full and Low marks on the dip stick. After a few days of driving I noticed no increase or decrease in mileage from the old Motorcraft Blend oil after ~9,000 miles. So most important when changing your oil is make sure the oil level is at the correct level. Some hypermilers run their oil about 1/2 qt low for better mileage but not me.

08hybridok, I don't know if the '08 FEH has the same problem as my '09 with ramps or if your dealership even uses front ramps. If you see the oil level high on the stick and a drop in mileage it could be. It could also be the filter was not changed or the guy didn't drain all the oil out properly. My oil is now so clear it's hard to see on the dip stick after this change. Good Luck!

GaryG

Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

Regarding:

"The month and year the FEH was built is on the drivers door and the day, month and year is on the widow sticker if you kept that. "

I found the month and year the FEH was built on the driver door, but I looked all over the window sticker and don't see a date of any kind on it.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy9048
Regarding:

"The month and year the FEH was built is on the drivers door and the day, month and year is on the widow sticker if you kept that. "

I found the month and year the FEH was built on the driver door, but I looked all over the window sticker and don't see a date of any kind on it.
Both my window stickers for the '05 and '09 FEH have the build date at the end of a long number code in one of the boxes on the bottom of the sticker. The box on my '09 has a sentence in the box that starts with "This label is affixed pursuant to the Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act". The long number on my '09 FEHL is -
8G092 N RB 2X 915 000044 07 09 08. I know the days after I ordered my FEH at what day the build process began till the day it was shipped. My '09 FEHL has a build date of 7/09/08 which are the last numbers in this code. My '09 arrived at my dealer 7/22/08 and was the day I drove it home. My lifetime mileage from the assembly line is 50.3mpg which is 154% of combined EPA and rising fast with ~17,700 miles on her. Its been the best FEH until the '10 came out which remains to be seen. Best tank so far is 57.7mpg over 785 miles with 13.6 gallons of E10 gas. I do all my service work and the '09 has never been to the dealership for repairs or warranty work so far. Just purchased new air and battery Motorcraft filters for both the '05 and '09 and they both have the same part numbers. The Parts Manager gives me a big discount over list price on all parts which is real nice but he can't sell me the oil filters below Walmart.

GaryG

Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wolfy9048
Regarding:

It is worth posting again, here is the Ford URL to retrieve your window sticker. I just checked mine and my 2008 was manufactured in October of 2007.

You just need to change the part in <BRACKETS> to match the VIN from your FEH...

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=<REMOVE THIS PART AND ENTER YOUR VIN>

Quick Reply: Oil filter question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands