Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Steering Failure

Originally Posted by Wolfy9048
xspirit,

I own a 2009 FEH and it has 58k miles on it. I have owned since it was new and it has been a great vehicle, but back in early December I lost power steering for a couple of seconds while making a gradual right turn at about 45 mph. I hit the brakes of course and at the same time the PS came back on - this happened at 5:30 am on the way to work.

It hasn't happened since, but I every couple of months I take a look at this forum and was surprised to find this has happened to others.

My questions for you - how long was your PS out for?

Question for other Forum members:

I have the 100k extended warranty on my vehicle - will the Dealer replace the steering column under this warranty or will I have a fight to get this done because there are no check engine codes?

I plan to report this problem to NHTSA and safercar.gov.
I have the PremiumCare warranty and it was fully covered. My problem was exactly the same - loss of power for about 2 seconds.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Spoke with the top hybrid service tech at my local Ford service department after I had simple maintenance work done. He denied a secret TSB exists for this thread's issue and has not seen or work on any vehicle that had this problem. He stated my power steering modular failure was the first one he experienced and the first one at the dealership for any vehicle. That is all I can add to this thread.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If I were in the mechanic's position, the last thing I'd want is to be responsible for exposing on the Internet any of Ford's internal workings on this matter. It's extremely sensitive for Ford employees or anyone working with them, as a safety problem that may eventually face a very costly recall.

Your service tech said various things, but did he say he'd never heard of this?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

My top hybrid Ford service department tech stated "he has never seen or worked on this failure-steering column power steering boost". I have been going to this dealership since 2007 with this vehicle. He denied any knowledge of a "secret" TSB for this issue. I'm located 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, Pa. This is one of Ford's few female owned dealerships.

If I were in the mechanic's position, the last thing I'd want is to be responsible for exposing on the Internet any of Ford's internal workings on this matter. It's extremely sensitive for Ford employees or anyone working with them, as a safety problem that may eventually face a very costly recall.

With this above statement, You are stating there is a safety issue. You are claiming the dealership employees-not just Ford Motor Company employees- are "aware" of this safety issue and are hiding the truth. That is making a huge jump in assumption. If you feel so strongly about this statement, I am asking for the real data-not reports to various government groups- to back up these claims. Nor do I want to read again that Toyota replaced their units without telling us what changed with the units. I had a power steering modular failure occur on my vehicle. The part cost like $612 plus labor. I have moved on.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 AM

I finally got around to entering my account in the NHTSB problem reports. I would encourage everyone who has the issue to do the same, so that it can be tracked - and fixed if it become obvious enough. I'm glad Ford has (apparently) fixed the problem in my case, but if they have a larger problem, it should be noted.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 FEH that I bought new. Lost the power steering at about 120K. I have invested over $3500 in replacement parts. I basically had a new power steering assembly installed by my local Ford dealer. Two weeks after the repair, ... power steering failure again. These cars are lemons.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by hybrid_money_pit
I have a 2006 FEH that I bought new. Lost the power steering at about 120K. I have invested over $3500 in replacement parts. I basically had a new power steering assembly installed by my local Ford dealer. Two weeks after the repair, ... power steering failure again. These cars are lemons.
Sorry to hear of your problems, but Ford parts installed by the dealer have a 1 year warranty. Take it back and have them replace it - at their cost.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Sorry to hear of your problems, but Ford parts installed by the dealer have a 1 year warranty. Take it back and have them replace it - at their cost.
Hi Steve, I appreciate your response and am waiting for a call back from Ford as I write this message. My worry is that they are going to tell me something else is wrong and charge me more money. At this point, no matter what they do or tell me, I have absolutley no confidence that the problem will be resolved or that they fully understand the root cause of what is shorting out my power steering. If they cant resolve the issue without me spending more money, my plan is to ask them to apply the cost of the parts toward a new or pre-owned vehicle, plus the trade-in value of my FEH (which isnt worht much at this point). Do you think I will have any luck? Oh yeah, I am only buying something with the old fluid driven power steering system. No more power gadgets.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Hi Steve, I appreciate your response and am waiting for a call back from Ford as I write this message. My worry is that they are going to tell me something else is wrong and charge me more money. At this point, no matter what they do or tell me, I have absolutley no confidence that the problem will be resolved or that they fully understand the root cause of what is shorting out my power steering. If they cant resolve the issue without me spending more money, my plan is to ask them to apply the cost of the parts toward a new or pre-owned vehicle, plus the trade-in value of my FEH (which isnt worht much at this point). Do you think I will have any luck? Oh yeah, I am only buying something with the old fluid driven power steering system. No more power gadgets.
I don't think they will apply the cost of parts to another vehicle, but you never know. If you are that upset with the car, I'd just get rid of it. However you might consider a new lease if you qualify; there are some good deals.

In my case, it was the steering column, but it was an intermittent failure, unlike yours.

Many cars are still using fluid, but a whole bunch have gone to electric instead - it needs no maintenance.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Reports of multiple failures are uncommon, but not unknown. Ford should certainly make this right.

The mechanic who did the steering column on my '09 said there were 6-8 part numbers for the assembly for the '09. He made sure I got the latest one. I'd speculate Ford has had to redesign the assembly either because the problem was still showing up, or just to make it better or cheaper. I would imagine there would be some of the superceded assemblies in the supply chain.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands