Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Power Steering Failure

Originally Posted by xspirit
Reports of multiple failures are uncommon, but not unknown. Ford should certainly make this right.

The mechanic who did the steering column on my '09 said there were 6-8 part numbers for the assembly for the '09. He made sure I got the latest one. I'd speculate Ford has had to redesign the assembly either because the problem was still showing up, or just to make it better or cheaper. I would imagine there would be some of the superceded assemblies in the supply chain.
Instead of replacing the whole steering unit which was done in the past they are just replacing the sensor which is what goes bad. A Ford Tech in another forum stated the they are having a problem with some of them though! The steering wheel rotates all the way to the right and stays there. This has also happened to some DIY who have purchased the sensor on eBay. In those cases, Ford Techs are forced to replace the whole assembly.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power Steering Failure

A couple of days ago, Ford issued announced they were recalling this problem. I believe there isn't a recall document yet, but owners are supposed to receive letters in July.

As we've come to realize, the problem extends at least to non-Hybrid Escapes, and the recall addresses '08-'11 model years. Something like one million vehicles are affected.

The announcement indicates there are three possible solutions for each instance of the problem: a software update, replacing a sensor module, or replacing the whole steering column assembly. This variation explains why there has been confusion on owner forums as to what the appropriate repair is. Obviously there's more than one version of the problem.

Since I've had my repair done, I'm looking forward to receiving repayment. Thanks to all those who helped make this happen by reporting the failures on their vehicles.