GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape AWD
Default Rattle from Rear Hatch

Has anyone had any rattles coming from the rear hatch and window area while driving over bumps or on rough road and been able to track down the exact location or cause?

I have had the rattle in my 08 FEH and while that's in the shop for hail damage (yay!),for a rental I have an 08 V6 AWD MM with exactly the same rattle. I'm wondering if it's something with the window or hatch latch.

Thanks.

-todd
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Hybrids: 2005 Ford Escape FWD, 2000 Honda Insight
Default Re: Rattle from Rear Hatch

I just noticed this recently, after about 3 years w/o the rattle.

Almost like a screw or bolt "came loose" or something.
Starting to bug me.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2009 FEH LTD

Exactly the same thing going on with my '08 with 13,300 mi.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hybrids: 2006 Ford Escape 4WD

Probably a stupid question, but did you pop the glass and shut it firmly?

First 4WD Hypermiler

Have you read the FEH FAQ?

Live in Michigan? Let it be known in Michigan Roll Call

Read My Automotive Blog at Rich Rambles

Read My Auto Reviews at The Detroit Examiner
Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2009 FEH LTD

Everytime. It sounds like something like a nut or bolt has fallen off and is rattling between the tailgate and tailgate interior panel, which is really noticeable when driving slowly, such as in traffic on LA's bumpy freeways. I from time to time press against the tailgate panel interior trim to make sure any snap clips are properly engaged. I use my tailgate often, however I do not slam the gate closed.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08 Escape

I have it too, I think. Mine doesn't sound like a loose bolt ratelling around, I think mine is the plastic defroter channeling ratteling, I just keep forgetting to take some clear duct tape out and confirm my theory.

2008 Escape Hybrid FWD
Ice Blue w/Chrome Pkg
Moonroof - Leather Premiem pkg
http://hybrid08ok.x10hosting.com/index.htm
Mods: Tint front to match, Cargo Cover, Keyless Pad, Flaps, Side Moldings.

2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer
1965 Falcon Futura 4 Door I6
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
Probably a stupid question, but did you pop the glass and shut it firmly?
I've checked the glass and all around and haven't been able to find anything that might be causing it. Everything that I can access seems secure.

After I picked up my 08 FEH yesterday from the shop, I asked the insurance agent who helped me who happened to have an 08 FE 4WD if she has window and dash rattles and she said that yes she did. I think it's interesting that between my 08 FEH, the agent's 08 FE, and the 08 MM rental, all have significant rattle problems.

I'm trying not to be too picky about it, but I really didn't have any rattle/interior noise issues with my 99 Explorer.

-t
Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

I had this same problem (or what seems to be the same problem)...

For me it was the glass on the rear end rattling where it hooks in. I ended up fixing it by wrapping the metal connector on the glass gate with a piece of electrical tape where it contacts the white latch. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned since (~4 months).

Tom
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid; 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Had my 08 FEH to the dealer this morning. They have not yet found the rattle in the glass area of the liftgate. All I know is...if I open the blasted glass, and drive over a rough road/street...no rattle. As soon as I shut it, it comes back. I've tried wrapping tape around the loop striker, no help. If I let a thin blanket drape out through the window opening, & shut it....no rattle, either. Just putting extra 'stress' on the window or on the latch doesn't seem to help any....nuts. Anyone having any better luck ?

Gary
Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Feral Engineer

Hybrids: 2007 Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas246 View Post
I had this same problem (or what seems to be the same problem)...

For me it was the glass on the rear end rattling where it hooks in. I ended up fixing it by wrapping the metal connector on the glass gate with a piece of electrical tape where it contacts the white latch. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned since (~4 months).

Tom
Ditto on my 2007. I wrapped both the lift gate and the glass strikers
Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Tags
2006, 2008, chevy, escape, ford, latch, mariner, mercury, rattle, rattles, rear, rx400h, tahoe, tailgate, window