Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

At these time intervals you really get to the issue of the replacement interval for the rubber hoses in the system. A typical interval of ten years is a nominal industry time frame in this kind of usage.

So, change the coolant when you decide to change out the rubber hoses. I wouldn't drain the coolant and then return it to the system, I'd put in fresh.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
I find it odd that the '06 Workshop Manual does not mention the thread sealant when it is in both my '05 & '09 Workshop Manuals. I quoted Section 307-01B-4 straight from the book and that is for the eCVT. In the '09 Manual Section 307-01B-7 it calls for Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF XT-10-QLV which is the newer fluid and Thread Sealant PTFETA-24 Specification WSK-M2G350-A2 which is different than the '05 Manual. The procedure is the same for applying the sealant to the threads.

Does anyone else have a '06, '07 & '08 Workshop Manuals that can confirm the Thread Sealant is not required on the eCVT ATF drain plug? This is real strange it calls for it in both my '05 & '09 Manuals and not the '06.

GaryG
Does the book say to use thread sealant on the drain plug for the engine's oil pan? What's the big deal here? If "any" drain plug leaks after the liquid is put in, you'll lose the liquid when you remove the plug the second time, so to avoid that, thread sealant is used as a precaution measure.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Recommended Transmission Service & Transmission Filter ?'s

Here is the page from the electronic manual - issued early in 2006 (Feb) - for use on '05-'06 vehicles.
[I know the date because it has the electronic lockout if it senses the computer it is running on has a "current date" of later than March, 2006 - one way Ford tries to insure the Techs are using the latest information]

Step 7 invokes the pipe sealant on the drain plug. No sealant specified for the fill plug.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
eCVT fluid drain and refill.pdf (111.8 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by glennb; 05-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Interesting, the paper book is lightly different than the electronic version.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Interesting, the paper book is lightly different than the electronic version.
I think it's time you come clean! I'm not incorrect, you are! There is no recommended or required eCVT fluid changes by Ford, quote a section if I'm wrong. If you have an '06 FEH Workshop Manual, it reads the same as all of mine and Glenns '06 DVD manual. There is no other specs other than Mercon in the manuals for the eCVT fluid except for the change in the '09 FEH fluid that is not recommended in the '05 - '08 FEH. Clearly, there is a pipe sealant required that you claimed was not there, and you didn't use.

Please stop misleading the owners of the FEH on this and any other boards you post.

GaryG

Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM

We already know the manuals are slightly different from the different page numbers cited...

So go away.

Let people read the manuals for themselves and form their own conclusion. I've seen enough mis-spelled words and other editing errors over the years of using shop manuals to be unimpressed with minor errors & omissions. ...And in the big scheme of things this is one of those.

Originally on the fluid changeout I said check the owners manual. It never occurred to me they wouldn't change it. Once it was noted that it didn't call for that I dropped that point.

Like I said: Go away.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Just for the record...

Here is Ford's Technical Service Bulletin I posted a few years ago regarding transmission fluids usable in the eCVT unit on the FEH. At that time there was a thread just as humorous as this one seems to have gotten... it even had one gentleman recommending 75W-90 gear lube in the transaxle. I haven't needed to update it since then, so it only covers through 2007 models. I'm sure there's a more recent version out there.

As you look it over note the difference between a CVT and eCVT. They are two entirely different kinds of units requiring entirely different lubricants.

Our FEH's use the standard Mercon or Mercon V ATF. ...And that's exactly what I use in my transaxle.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB Lubricants.pdf (232.6 KB, 333 views)

Last edited by Bill Winney; 05-10-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Just for the record...

Here is Ford's Technical Service Bulletin I posted a few years ago regarding transmission fluids usable in the eCVT unit on the FEH. At that time there was a thread just as humorous as this one seems to have gotten... it even had one gentleman recommending 75W-90 gear lube in the transaxle. I haven't needed to update it since then, so it only covers through 2007 models. I'm sure there's a more recent version out there.

As you look it over note the difference between a CVT and eCVT. They are two entirely different kinds of units requiring entirely different lubricants.

Our FEH's use the standard Mercon or Mercon V ATF. ...And that's exactly what I use in my transaxle.
This is what you claimed:

Bill Winney
Hybrids: Escape
Re: DIY eCVT transmission service for an 06 FEH
Right on! No clutches and such in this unit. That's the beauty of it, the designers figured out how to use a planetary gear set to do the job and the computer adjusts the excitation, ICE power level, and frequency of the AC to the alternator & traction motor.

I couldn't determined if there is a filter in the transaxle so I believe there is not one. The wear inside that unit is minimal since it is all rotating stuff, but there will still be some small amount. My other concern is condensation inside it. I switched mine to Mobil One ATF early on (634 miles) and change it as prescribed.

As best I can see draining does drain all fluid. There are some good photos on the web with cutaway views and unless Ford designed in some retention catches for fluid all comes out.

I am considering a kidney loop filter setup. We'll see if I can make it work.

"I switched mine to Mobil One ATF early on (634 miles) and change it as prescribed."

Which is it, Mobil One ATF or Mercon?

GaryG

Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 AM

It has been posited that the FEH Transaxle is a sealed unit with no need to change oil. I noted that was not good thinking since the shop manual doesn't ID it that way. The shop manual just doesn't call for an oil change before 100k.

I've now run an experiment by going 100k on the transaxle lubricant. The analysis of the oil showed high Total Acid Number and high tin in the oil. Not dangerous but clearly of concern.

My take is if you intend to keep one of these beyond 100k, changeout the transaxle lubricant every 50k or so. If you buy a used one then change out the transaxle oil soon.

With regard to TAN: This transaxle has wiring inside it that I expect is exposed to the oil. If the TAN gets too high it'll begin dissolving the insulation or copper metal itself.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 11-17-2014 at 06:40 AM.