Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

I saw that Ford finally decided to fix one of the complaints on almost all hybrid vehicles, that the A/C compressor also stops when the gas engine stops making stop lights uncomfortable. On the 2010 model Ford has moved the Air conditioning compressor to the electric motor which runs all the time, even when the gas engine shuts down. Does anyone have any information on how they did it, ie compressor mounts, pulleys etc.? If it is as easy as welding on or tapping some threaded holes and using the 2010 compressor bracket with whatever pulley arrangement necessary I am very interested in doing that type of conversion.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

I found more details about the 2010 A/C compressor, like the Priuses use a Denso electric A/C compressor. I found this thread and it discussed my question pretty well.

Converting to an electric Air Conditioner compressor sounds a little more expensive than just adding a new bracket and relocating the mechanical one. It is too bad because the main electric motor seems to be always running and it would have plenty of power to turn a compressor as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Are you joking? I can't tell on email without something like this:

If you are not joking... you need to do more reading.
The A/C in newer cars is NOT run by the electric motor(s) for the car!!!
The electric "drive" motors are NOT ALWAYS RUNNING!!!

The electric motors are directly connected to the wheels. If the wheels are not turning, there is no electric dirve motor turning. This car has no "clutch".

The A/C in newer cars is a self contained unit that runs by itself on electricity without any pulley whatsover attached to the engine. Or electric drive motors!

Last edited by gpsman1; 06-11-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Are you joking? I can't tell on email without something like this:

If you are not joking... you need to do more reading.
The A/C in newer cars is NOT run by the electric motor(s) for the car!!!
The electric "drive" motors are NOT ALWAYS RUNNING!!!

The electric motors are directly connected to the wheels. If the wheels are not turning, there is no electric dirve motor turning. This car has no "clutch".

The A/C in newer cars is a self contained unit that runs by itself on electricity without any pulley whatsover attached to the engine. Or electric drive motors!
From his initial question, I cut him some slack. I knew that he meant converting from engine belt driven compressor to electric compressor. I don't know if he realizes that the electric compressor runs off the traction battery.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Either way it's too expensive to consider.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Stevedebi,

I have been on a road trip from Virginia Beach to Boise, Idaho driving the 06 FEH , So far I am pretty happy with the car aside from the missing A/C at stops,, especially in the very humid Virginia.

Yes, I saw the electric compressor has to run off the main battery because the 12V system just isn't enough to run the compressor. I was just looking for some details on the newer setup to see if it is worth searching for a wrecked FEH with the newer setup.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by rsbrown
Thanks Stevedebi,

I have been on a road trip from Virginia Beach to Boise, Idaho driving the 06 FEH , So far I am pretty happy with the car aside from the missing A/C at stops,, especially in the very humid Virginia.

Yes, I saw the electric compressor has to run off the main battery because the 12V system just isn't enough to run the compressor. I was just looking for some details on the newer setup to see if it is worth searching for a wrecked FEH with the newer setup.
No, your "Pre-2009" FEH software is not set up to accomodate the electric compressor anyway. It would have a very uncertain effect, and would probably mess up everything anyway, even if you had the equipment.

You do know that if you turn off "ECON" the A/C (and engine) will run at stop lights?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
You do know that if you turn off "ECON" the A/C (and engine) will run at stop lights?
I assume that what this means, "aside from the missing A/C at stops".

I get along just fine with econ mode, and rarely run the a/c, unless the outside temp is over 90°, rare in the Midwest until July/August.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
I assume that what this means, "aside from the missing A/C at stops".

I get along just fine with econ mode, and rarely run the a/c, unless the outside temp is over 90°, rare in the Midwest until July/August.
That statement is exactly why I asked. One does not have to do without A/C at stops.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood your intent.

Quick Reply: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands