Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

My wife was out driving the new FEH this afternoon and the Service Engine Soon light came on. There were no symptoms other than the light.

She stopped at the dealer and they said to drop it by in the morning. I checked for codes on the ScanGauge and it does have one stored code: P013A. Is there any way to find out what this code means? The engine light is staying on even after re-starting the car.

Bummer ... Haven't even had it a week!

Thanks,

Rick

Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Default Re: Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

Originally Posted by rmcmast
My wife was out driving the new FEH this afternoon and the Service Engine Soon light came on. There were no symptoms other than the light.

She stopped at the dealer and they said to drop it by in the morning. I checked for codes on the ScanGauge and it does have one stored code: P013A. Is there any way to find out what this code means? The engine light is staying on even after re-starting the car.

Bummer ... Haven't even had it a week!

Thanks,

Rick
That would be 02 Sensor Slow Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

During a decel fuel shut-off (DFSO) event, the PCM monitors how quickly the rear HO2S switches from rich to lean. The test fails when the measured value is slower than the threshold value.

Possible Causes: Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S or Damaged HO2S.

Diagnostic Aid: Check for leaks in the exhaust system.

Hope this helps, it's right out of the '09 PCM/ED Manual.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 02-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
That would be 02 Sensor Slow Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

During a decel fuel shut-off (DFSO) event, the PCM monitors how quickly the rear HO2S switches from rich to lean. The test fails when the measured value is slower than the threshold value.

Possible Causes: Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S or Damaged HO2S.

Diagnostic Aid: Check for leaks in the exhaust system.

Hope this helps, it right out of the '09 PCM/ED Manual.

GaryG
Thanks! That doesn't sound too bad. I just found a PDF that had the codes, but no explanation.
--Rick

Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks! That doesn't sound too bad. I just found a PDF that had the codes, but no explanation.
--Rick
Rick, if this happen to me I would have documented the code and cleared it with my SGII. If the code came back, I would take it in for repair. I'd do this to make sure it was not a PCM glitch that would waste my time at the dealership. I've done this with the SGII on many vehicles and if the problem returns right away, there is a real problem to deal with.

GaryG

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

The light comes back on after a reset. The dealer checked for leaks and did not find any. They think it's the O2 sensor and are replacing it today.

-- Rick

Last edited by rmcmast; 02-11-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM

The light comes back on after a reset. The dealer checked for leaks and did not find any. They think it's the O2 sensor and are replacing it today.

-- Rick
Those 02 sensors are the new Lambda broadband Heated Oxygen Sensors that allow E10 to adjust better to the FEH. It's good to know the dealer can get them in one day if they are bad. Keep us updated!

GaryG

Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Those 02 sensors are the new Lambda broadband Heated Oxygen Sensors that allow E10 to adjust better to the FEH. It's good to know the dealer can get them in one day if they are bad. Keep us updated!

GaryG
The dealer said the sensor was coming from the plant. Fortunately, I'm in Kansas City and the Claycomo Ford plant is about 3 miles away from the dealer! I might have had to wait a day if the sensor needed to be shipped.

I already have my car back and it working fine.

-- Rick

Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 PM

The dealer said the sensor was coming from the plant. Fortunately, I'm in Kansas City and the Claycomo Ford plant is about 3 miles away from the dealer! I might have had to wait a day if the sensor needed to be shipped.

I already have my car back and it working fine.

-- Rick
That's great Rick! I enjoy talking to my dealer Parts Manager that has an Escape and Prius. He tries to keep his stock of parts in line with part failures so I'll pass on your problem with the '09 FEH. The old hybrid tech there also kept me up to date on the history of repairs and problems, but he moved up north.

I get a PO420 code every so often in my '05 FEH, but it always resets with the SGII and no problems for months after. It started when Florida mandated E10 and I think it has to do with moisture mixing with ethanol. The manual says leaded gas will also set this code.

GaryG

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

What does that code actually say? I forgot, and I don't have my Helms with me since I'm traveling now.

I use E10, E20, E30, E40, E50, E70, and E85.
I don't get any codes.

I used to ramp up the ethanol slowly.
Now I'm getting more bold.
I went from a tank of gas, to E50 and back to gas right away.
No ill effects. I monitor LTFT and it updates much faster than we all thought!
Like 10 to 15 miles!*

*Probably not 100% adjusted, or fine tuned, but it does a very good job!

I'm not against ethanol, but E10 is really about the worst for MPG per dollar.
Of course, MPG with higher than 50% ethanol is in the 20's. ( Highway )
But cost per gallon of ethanol is as low as $1.39 now.
I can "fill 'er up" for under $20 bucks. Yea!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Minneapolis area has decent e85 prices too. Much better there than up here, which is about 20 cents higher (but our gas prices are a bit lower tho too).

I found the max to be about E50 on my '09 without a conversion.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon 2009 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands