"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Add me to the list with the MECS pump problem. Similar story to many:

2008 FEH, about 64,000 miles. Driving from St. Louis to Minneapolis for a college graduation. Late Saturday afternoon get my first ever Stop Safely Now, pull over, shut off, wait, restart - rinse and repeat four times, each time getting about 2-3 miles, until finally coming to rest in a Rest Area about 40 miles short of Minneapolis. Luckily, relatives were already in town and able to drive us around over the weekend.

On Monday morning I was able to restart and drive to Apple Valley Ford, the biggest, fanciest Ford dealership I've ever seen. They confirmed it was the pump, replaced it in about an hour, and we were on our way home and had no more problems. Total price was about $300 parts and $170 labor, with tax and miscellaneous pushing it just over $500.

Now where's that link to the NHTSA reporting page?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Replaced my OEM pump with the new type pump at 55,000 miles. Did this pre-emptively since I kept seeing posts like this.

So far so good @96,000 miles.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Enthusiast

Hi! Looks like You are an expert in Hybrids My FEH after crash accident starts, but gasoline engine shuts off after a few seconds, I tryed to put D gear, it runs forwar, after R, runs rear, after engine shuts off put D, runs, R runs, but after seconds everything shuts off. On dashboard before start blinking THEFT, but shuts off after ignition ON. I have not repair manual to solve problem, reading many forums, but can not find solution Could You help me what can be wrong?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by daujadauja
Hi! Looks like You are an expert in Hybrids My FEH after crash accident starts, but gasoline engine shuts off after a few seconds, I tryed to put D gear, it runs forwar, after R, runs rear, after engine shuts off put D, runs, R runs, but after seconds everything shuts off. On dashboard before start blinking THEFT, but shuts off after ignition ON. I have not repair manual to solve problem, reading many forums, but can not find solution Could You help me what can be wrong?
Are you saying it was in an accident? There is a fuel pump shut off switch that triggers in an accident and you will need to reset it. it should be in the right hand kick panel near the floor.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Yes dear, I know these switches, after accident they turned off, but now I turn them on. My X diag shows P0108, P0685, P1000, and P1A10-battery dissabled. Engine starts for a few seconds and shuts down.

Heres what I found online at Escape-City: P1A10 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Battery Disabled

Description: This is an informational DTC and it can be set as a result of the vehicle operating with the engine disabled, the vehicle operating in the NEUTRAL for an extended period of time, or the vehicle operating with a traction battery concern.
Possible Causes: Powertrain concern
Traction battery control module (TBCM) communications concern
Traction battery system concern
Transmission is in NEUTRAL for an extended period of time while the vehicle is enabled

Diagnostic Aids: The circuit DTCs can be accompanied by the informational DTCs, and should be diagnosed first. An informational DTC without a circuit DTC may or may not indicate the actual concern and should be diagnosed as a symptom. A combination of DTCs and symptoms may help to pinpoint which vehicle subsystem is a cause of this DTC. When set in combination with DTC U0111, this DTC may indicate a concern with battery power off (BPO) circuit or loss of controller area network (CAN) communications. When set in combination with the PCM DTCs P1A0C or P1A0D and Stop Safely Now message is displayed, this DTC may indicate a concern with the powertrain system. When set in combination with the PCM DTC P1A0C, this may indicate a low traction battery voltage due to repeated unsuccessful engine start attempts. When set alone, and no DTCs are present in the TBCM or the TCM, this DTC may indicate that the transmission is in NEUTRAL for an extended period of time while the vehicle is enabled and the hybrid system shut down to protect the traction battery from discharging. Advise the customer of the conditions that may cause this DTC.
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:40:11 -0500

My tranmission really was in NEUTRAL position for a long time, I think about six months. Do You have any solutions on it, what I must to do if my transmission was in neutral for a long time?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, my 08 FEH did this to me today on my way out of town to see a client. Doing 115km/h down the 2nd busiest highway in Canada and the triangle of doom comes up, engine stops and I am almost rear ended because of some jackass behind me who was tailgating. Pulled over, turned off the ignition, waited a min and started back up without issue (no codes were thrown at all, arrgg!!). Did this 12 times on the way back into the city. Once I was in the city, it did it one more time, this time the information display came up "High Motor Temperature" and the temp light came on. I made it to the stealership without it doing it again but I was going slow and minimized the regen and EV modes as much as possible.

Worst possible time for this to happen as i'm heading on a road trip this friday to my little brothers wedding AND the stealership is closed on friday because of the Calgary Stampede parade going in front of their building blocking access. Not only that but Prince William and Kate Middleton will be in town to security will be ridiculous.

I've told them flat out, I NEED my vehicle back by end of day tomorrow and will pay the freight charge to fly the MECS pump in if its farther than Alberta. If they can't have it done tomorrow, they will have no choice but to tow it to another stealership and have them fix it friday and i'll have to postpone my trip by a day, costing me about $200 in cancellation fees at hotels and campgrounds.

ARRGG!!! Ford... Hear this... If there are KNOWN issues with your vehicles and you put out a TSB for them, inform the owners who's vehicles may be affected so they can fix it BEFORE a break down. Doing 115km/h on a major highway and having your engine stop is NOT safe and so far as i'm concerned. Stop Safely Now, DDUUHHHH

Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wbonville
Well, my 08 FEH did this to me today on my way out of town to see a client. Doing 115km/h down the 2nd busiest highway in Canada and the triangle of doom comes up, engine stops and I am almost rear ended because of some jackass behind me who was tailgating. Pulled over, turned off the ignition, waited a min and started back up without issue (no codes were thrown at all, arrgg!!). Did this 12 times on the way back into the city. Once I was in the city, it did it one more time, this time the information display came up "High Motor Temperature" and the temp light came on. I made it to the stealership without it doing it again but I was going slow and minimized the regen and EV modes as much as possible.
Just curious how many miles are on your FEH.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

104600km, so I think that is about 65000 miles?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Will, since this is a heat related issue, take heat out of the equation and drive at night in cooler ambient temperatures as you will get there. Rather than cancel plans, I'd try to take it easy, drive slower, and stop and let it cool when needed. The FEH will get you there.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

It was below 60f outside when I left this morning and its only going to get warmer and warmer as well as humid as I head east. I have a 3500km trip and can't afford for the trip to take a week as my brother gets married next week and I am in the wedding party. We'll see what happens within the next few hours, assuming I hear back from them at all today.

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands