"Stop Safely Now"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Just heard from the stealership, was indeed the MECS pump. I'll have it replaced under warranty tomorrow and back by days end.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

On Saturday I got the "Stop Safely Now" message with instant engine shutdown (2006 AWD FEH, 106K). I had driven about four miles at 45 mph in 70 degree weather. I was stuck on the side of the road for about 30 minutes--wouldn't restart, battery cooling fan going constantly. When I heard the fan shut off I restarted the engine and drove home. The next day it happened on the freeway after 25 miles of driving; I waited almost an hour but the message never went away--I ended up pulling the 12V battery cable, which got rid of the message and allowed a restart. I then drove 40 more miles without it happening again. Once home, I checked the codes using the Scangauge--none showed up under the normal scan, but I retrieved "1" code, "P0A27" using the DTC Xgauge. While I was sitting in my garage checking these codes with the ignition on but engine off, the "Stop Safely Now" popped back up and the battery cooling fan came on. Engine hadn't run in over 24 hours, all temps (motor, MECS coolant, battery, etc.) between 75 and 80. Codes remained the same, engine won't start. I turned the ignition off; eventually the battery cooling fan turned off.

Does this point to the battery "service harness" indicated in Customer Satisfaction Program 07B48? The fact that the engine, MECS pump, and cooling fan were all off when the message popped up makes me think they wouldn't trigger it.

I will try to check my VIN at the dealer to see if this harness has already been fixed on mine (I bought it used @88K). Has anyone been able to get this repair done under the CARB-state warranty?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmistche
Hi all,

On Saturday I got the "Stop Safely Now" message with instant engine shutdown (2006 AWD FEH, 106K). I had driven about four miles at 45 mph in 70 degree weather. I was stuck on the side of the road for about 30 minutes--wouldn't restart, battery cooling fan going constantly. When I heard the fan shut off I restarted the engine and drove home. The next day it happened on the freeway after 25 miles of driving; I waited almost an hour but the message never went away--I ended up pulling the 12V battery cable, which got rid of the message and allowed a restart. I then drove 40 more miles without it happening again. Once home, I checked the codes using the Scangauge--none showed up under the normal scan, but I retrieved "1" code, "P0A27" using the DTC Xgauge. While I was sitting in my garage checking these codes with the ignition on but engine off, the "Stop Safely Now" popped back up and the battery cooling fan came on. Engine hadn't run in over 24 hours, all temps (motor, MECS coolant, battery, etc.) between 75 and 80. Codes remained the same, engine won't start. I turned the ignition off; eventually the battery cooling fan turned off.

Does this point to the battery "service harness" indicated in Customer Satisfaction Program 07B48? The fact that the engine, MECS pump, and cooling fan were all off when the message popped up makes me think they wouldn't trigger it.

I will try to check my VIN at the dealer to see if this harness has already been fixed on mine (I bought it used @88K). Has anyone been able to get this repair done under the CARB-state warranty?

Thanks!
Ford has denied claims after a certain date a few year ago for the wring harness, but I think the battery should be covered as an assembly like the fan motors are. The problem addressed in the letter I got before taking it in for the harness replacement, stated the same issue your having. If the harness was replaced in your FEH, it sounds like you are still covered and all you need is a HV battery module reflash.

Keep us informed!

GaryG

Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

As a new member of the "stop safely now" club, I want to thank all of you for the posts on this topic. Anticipating a couple of upcoming college visits with one of my kids, I stopped in at the dealer last week for an oil change (was due for the 80K checkup but didn't have time and figured I'd do the rest in a couple of weeks), then got new tires at Costco the next day (where they also replaced a tire pressure sensor that was broken a few years ago during a road-trip tire repair). Got the "stop safely" warning on the freeway heading home from Costco and made it to the shoulder. Because the car started up fine a few minutes later, and I drove around the next day without incident, I assumed that the "stop safely" incident occurred because the various dealer and Costco adjustments had simply required some sort of reboot.

My daughter and I headed out on Sunday for a college visit in eastern Wisconsin. Had just crossed the river from MN to WI, when the problem happened again - and then two more times. Called spouse, who drove out to exchange vehicles (daughter and I made the rest of the trip in our 10-year-old Taurus). Spouse had 2 more incidents while he was on the freeway, but no problem when he got onto slower roads or for 2 more days of in-town driving.

I took it to the dealer today and ended up with the MECS replacement in all its costly glory (we're off warranty, of course). Based on other posts in this thread, looks like it might or might not solve the problem. I'm going to add my voice at NHTSA. Will also send a letter to the service department at the dealership to share a link to this thread. I want to share info with them, in case they haven't seen this useful information. But I also want to document the various potential issues, just in case this expensive repair doesn't solve the problem and I've got to go back for more work - and presumably some haggling over its cost.

Last edited by ElizVera; 10-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE to my above post--I talked with the dealer, explained the code and the TSB number, and took it in. They checked it out and agreed that the TSB applied and that it would be covered under warranty. I had to wait 10 days for the harness to come in, but since the replacement and reflash the FEH has worked great for 3 weeks with no lights or problems! Hope this continues, and I might still plan for a MECS pump replacement at some point because I still have the original style in place.
Thanks everyone for sharing all this great info!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, everyone! I found this thread in a Google search. My 2006 FEH has probably 100K-110K miles on it and was my mother-in-law's (and very well cared for) before I got custody in 2009. About eight months ago, I started driving it 60 miles per day (50 are expressway, 70+ mph miles), usually 5 days per week.

Once several months ago, I was pulling out of my neighborhood one foggy morning and got the STOP SAFELY NOW message. I pulled over, turned everything off, and turned the key again. It all started just fine and was no problem. I called it a fluke.

A few weeks ago, every few days, I started getting the STOP SAFELY NOW message upon starting the vehicle in the morning or at work at the end of the day. Each time, the power in the vehicle would be on but the engine would not. Each time, I turn the car all the way off, then turn the key fully again, and everything is fine. I have not had another problem once the engine is on.

I have a radio adapter for my iPod--this happens less if I don't leave that plugged in, but it still happens. I live in Michigan, and it's definitely getting cooler here.

I have an appointment at the dealership for an oil change (I'm a touch overdue) on Monday, and I've asked that they look at this problem then. The gentleman at the dealership with whom I spoke implied he had never heard of this problem before.

It seems like this is patently NOT the problem others are having with this error message. Has anyone in the know heard of this?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

A bad or weak 12 volt battery could do this. Has yours ever been replaced?
If not, do that first. They only last about 5 years.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Also, there was a problem with a wiring harness inside the HV battery case that caused this problem. Ford had the dealers replace that harness for free up until a certain date. Check to see if that wiring harness work got done.

GaryG

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

I don't think it has. How much does that cost, usually? Is it around the same price as the battery for a non-hybrid?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Stop Safely Now"

Originally Posted by emilys
I don't think it has. How much does that cost, usually? Is it around the same price as the battery for a non-hybrid?
The 12V battery is no different than one in a non-hybrid...should be the same cost. Just have a store look up the recommended replacement for your make and model. I have 70k miles and almost 6 years on my original 12V, I will be replacing it very soon - as "preventive" maintenance.
[hopefully you don't need a whole new HV wiring harness like I did, posts #41 and #98, this thread)

Quick Reply: "Stop Safely Now"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands