Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Originally Posted by drstandish
Changing the MECS fixed it. This is the coolant pump for the 12v transformer that replaces the under hood battery. Best fit guess on the RPM connection was the stronger draw on the hybrid assist.
thanks for the quick response i will be sure to mention it to the mechanic to see if he can confirm the problem.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john8919
i am currently having the same problems. at high rpms specially after 4500 rpm the stop safely comes on. initially I noticed that it started doing it because I was a touch over on the oil but i drained the excess oil and it went away for about 10 days, now its come back and still cant figure what's causing the stop safely now. I have scanned the vehicle and no codes come up.
Be careful of the "no codes" finding. Most code scanners won't read manufacturer-specific codes or the various codes stored in other on-board vehicle modules (like the hybrid system, ABS, HVAC, etc) unless you buy a software package that contains them for that specific device. I've also read the MECS pump really has no codes that point directly at it (more along the lines of a hybrid system over-temp, etc), so be aware of that.

Changing the MECS fixed it. This is the coolant pump for the 12v transformer that replaces the under hood battery. Best fit guess on the RPM connection was the stronger draw on the hybrid assist.
Nice that you found the issue, and thanks for updating the thread.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Replaces the under hood battery? Mine has a 12v battery under the hood...

Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Replaces the under hood battery? Mine has a 12v battery under the hood...
I didn't even catch that. Drstandish, that MECS acronym stands for "Motor Electronics Cooling System" (at least according to TSB 08-24-5), which appears to help keep the hybrid electronics package in the engine bay cool, or at least that's what I gleaned from a quick look at how the degas bottle hoses and everything route in there.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 84gt ragtop
be careful of the "no codes" finding. Most code scanners won't read manufacturer-specific codes or the various codes stored in other on-board vehicle modules (like the hybrid system, abs, hvac, etc) unless you buy a software package that contains them for that specific device. I've also read the mecs pump really has no codes that point directly at it (more along the lines of a hybrid system over-temp, etc), so be aware of that.

Nice that you found the issue, and thanks for updating the thread.
unfortunately im living in a third world country (belize c.a.)
there are no ford dealers in country, are there any other places that might be able to find manufacturer codes and other special system codes?

Also since the 'mecs' pump gives off no code how can one determine that it is faulty?

only thing that occasionally comes on is the little wrench symbol along with service soon.

Thanks
john

Last edited by john8919; 02-24-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's a good link that shows the TSB with some of the DTCs seen (see under "ISSUE"):

http://blog.yagelski.com/2011/02/for...ric-motor.html

There are quite a few code readers that have specific modules to read different modules, but they're usually not cheap. My buddy bought a refurb'd AutoEnginuity PC-based usb code scanner package with Ford-specific modules awhile back off ebay for a couple hundred that he said worked great for a power-train-swapped Mustang he was doing. I've since heard great things about that package.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM

unfortunately im living in a third world country (belize c.a.)
there are no ford dealers in country, are there any other places that might be able to find manufacturer codes and other special system codes?

Also since the 'mecs' pump gives off no code how can one determine that it is faulty?

only thing that occasionally comes on is the little wrench symbol along with service soon.

Thanks
john
If you are getting the wrench occasionally, but it resets when you power off, that is usually the battery blend door.

When the MECS fails, the cars puts up a triangle, loses most of it's power, and says STOP SAFELY NOW. It often will then start up again after shutting down, but will reoccur very soon, because the electronics heat up quickly.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast

how can i find the battery blend door, what is its function and how can i diagnose if it is what's causing my problem?

most of the time the wrench will not come on, sometimes it comes on and nothing happens, and sometimes when i go over 4000 rpm the triangle will come on and the message board reads stop safely now, i have to pull over turn off the vehicle restart and as long as i don't go over 4000 rpm it usually doesn't come on again.

as previously mentioned the mechanics here have limited tools to check out the vehicle.

Last edited by john8919; 02-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM

how can i find the battery blend door, what is its function and how can i diagnose if it is what's causing my problem?

most of the time the wrench will not come on, sometimes it comes on and nothing happens, and sometimes when i go over 4000 rpm the triangle will come on and the message board reads stop safely now, i have to pull over turn off the vehicle restart and as long as i don't go over 4000 rpm it usually doesn't come on again.

as previously mentioned the mechanics here have limited tools to check out the vehicle.
The blend door is located inside the car at the left rear. The outside of the vent is on the left rear side window.

I believe there is a SG 2 code for the blend door - take a look at the sticky about scan guage programming at the top of the main page.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Most of the time the wrench will not come on, sometimes it comes on and nothing happens, and sometimes when i go over 4000 rpm the triangle will come on and the message board reads stop safely now, i have to pull over turn off the vehicle restart and as long as i don't go over 4000 rpm it usually doesn't come on again.

As previously mentioned the mechanics here have limited tools to check out the vehicle.
Originally Posted by stevedebi
the blend door is located inside the car at the left rear. The outside of the vent is on the left rear side window.

I believe there is a sg 2 code for the blend door - take a look at the sticky about scan guage programming at the top of the main page.

ok that would be where the air filter for the battery pack goes.

Quick Reply: Stop safely now at higher RPM only

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands