"Stop Safely Now" when engine should kick in 07 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default "Stop Safely Now" when engine should kick in 07 FEH

Three times now I've gotten the dreaded red triangle and "Stop safely now" when I performed an action that should have taken me from electric only mode to having the gas engine running. The first time I was stopped at a mcdonalds drive thru in electric only mode and turned on defrost. Instead of the engine starting, I got the message. The second two times i was slowly accelerating from a stop in electric only mode, and about when the gas engine should kick in the car shut down and told me to stop safely now instead.

In every case when I stop the vehicle, put it in park, take the keys out, wait a couple seconds, and try to start it again it has started right away and goes problem free for weeks. The dealers around here know little to nothing about hybrids, so I want to see if anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be before I take it in.

Has anyone experienced this and/or does anyone know what the likely cause is?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: "Stop Safely Now" when engine should kick in 07 FEH

Could be a loose wire or connector in any one of 1000 places.

Intermittant problems will likely be costly and time-consuming to trouble-shoot.

If you can live with it, I say live with it. Every car has a quirk from time to time. Annoying yes. Easy to fix, probably. Cost ya $1000 to $3000 to find?
Probably.

Live with it if you can.
If it occurs at a McDonalds, simply do what you did. Put it in park, and cycle the key. If you are moving more than 6 MPH, you can put it in N position and cycle the key while coasting. Annoying, for sure.

I'd live with it until it occurs regularly ( > once per week ).
But that's just my opinion.
Unless you have warranty left. Then take it right in!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are you the orginal owner of this vehicle? Do you know if this vehicle was recalled and had the work done for the battery harness issue that sometimes induces your symptoms? This link: http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=24 provides a list of TSB and recalls for your vehicle that you can use for reference and trouble shooting.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Escape HEV'08 El Salvador
Question Re: "Stop Safely Now" when engine should kick in 07 FEH

Originally Posted by tsumeone
Three times now I've gotten the dreaded red triangle and "Stop safely now" when I performed an action that should have taken me from electric only mode to having the gas engine running. The first time I was stopped at a mcdonalds drive thru in electric only mode and turned on defrost. Instead of the engine starting, I got the message. The second two times i was slowly accelerating from a stop in electric only mode, and about when the gas engine should kick in the car shut down and told me to stop safely now instead.

In every case when I stop the vehicle, put it in park, take the keys out, wait a couple seconds, and try to start it again it has started right away and goes problem free for weeks. The dealers around here know little to nothing about hybrids, so I want to see if anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be before I take it in.

Has anyone experienced this and/or does anyone know what the likely cause is?
Hello!
Have you solved this? Are you still having this issue?
It happened yesterday to mi wife, but when she was leaving in EV mode a roundabout and merging to a highway. She solved it by means of switching the key as you mentioned.
(FEH 2008 fwd)

Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

SSN warning could also be the relay issue that controls the MEC Pump, or the Pump itself needing replaced (more likely). Have you taken it to the dealership to run it for DTCs?

EDIT: Could also be the 12V battery, which it was in my case.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 08-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Unhappy Re: "Stop Safely Now" when engine should kick in 07 FEH

Thank you Rob...
FEH was reviewed with 2 different scanners, but no DTC were stored, one of the scanners was able to "say" no DTCs generated since 36000 miles ago!
I’m checking constantly for the MECS behavior from now on. Can you please tell me more about the relay issue?, I just don’t remember about that subject.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Be careful using code scanners that don't have manufacturer-specific code definitions stored. Generic code scanners won't see any Ford-specific codes for instance.

I'm not sure on the relay since I just sold my FEH and the how-to I'd printed out on which relay it was. I'm sure it's all over the interwebs though, so trust google to help you find it.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Hello again...
SSN happened twice today...while my wife was driving.
Once she came home, I noticed that fans did not stop running for a while. But after they did stop, I check the MECS pump and the fluid in the rear coolant bottle and discovered it's not working…tapping it with the hammer makes it run!
So I ordered a kit and will wait to replace it!