Tire size & spare questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire size & spare questions

Originally Posted by wbonville
OK, now that i've filtered through the flame war...

I'm going to be replacing the rubber on my 08 FEH within the next few months. I'll likely be replacing all 4 with Goodyear Forterra Tripletred's (I am a huge fan of the Tripletred series from Goodyear). I have the opportunity to pick up another FEH rim and i'd like to mount a 5th tire on that rim and use it as a spare. My question is this... will a full sized tire fit underneath in the spare wheel well? Obviously I need to pop off the blue oval but that's a non-issue.
I am using a full size spare. I ordered the rim from the Ford dealer after I had to replace two of my OEM tires. It works fine, but I really disliked using the donut, which I used to get to Costco when buying my tires.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all, New to the site. I have an 06 Mercury Mariner. I realize this thread is for the FEH, but there was no mention of tire size on the MMH thread.

The MMH has 43K miles and I suspect original tires (Contitrac)

I need new tires before winter. My preference is Hankook DynaPro ATM. I have had great experience with several sets of these tires, but this is my first hybrid.

Any issues with going to a 225/75R16 tire?

They are ~ .1" bigger.
My goal is to get this aggressive tire (Amazing in the snow) but offset some of my lost MPG by going to a narrower tire.

The P225/75R16 DynaPro weigh 32.271 lbs (email from Hankook)
The P235/75R16 Contitrac weigh 32 lbs according to tire rack website

I suspect the new tire would be about 9-10mm narrower?

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmobile
Any issues with going to a 225/75R16 tire?

My goal is to get this aggressive tire (Amazing in the snow) but offset some of my lost MPG by going to a narrower tire.
I have over 40K miles now on 225/75-16s and can report that there have been no negatives with respect to handling.
I suspect the main reason 235/70 tires are used for OEM are for styling preferences. Even 215s are OEM on a lot of older Escapes with 15" rims.

As you have noticed there are some significant cost savings with using the 225s and there is a wider selection. Since the Hankooks have a higher load rating (106) than OEM, can be inflated to 50psi, and weigh about the same as OEM, you will be safe and will likely not suffer any mpg loss. Plus everyone that gets rid of their OEM Continentals is happy they did.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.
Many 225/75R16 are L/T tires, that adds about 10 lbs, but Hankook makes these in P rated tires which is good for me. 50K mile rated and carry the Sever Service Emblem (snow flake) These tires are Awesome!

Found them $25 cheaper online. Discount Tire matches online tire stores but they always throw in the shipping charges, but I always contest the no taxes, so they usually give me the online price. Everything's Negotiable!