Use of Green AntiFreeze

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Arrow Use of Green AntiFreeze

Hi all.
Just a question here.
Is there any harm from doing a blend of green and factory ( yellow ) antifreeze in your coolent system(s)???
I know Ford says "Use Yellow" and there is even a sticker under the hood. But...
1) What if you are in a remote area and need some and green is all you have on hand?
2) What if you have the car in Alaska, or any other place with winters as low as -50 degrees on certain nights? Do you think green has an "edge" over the yellow?
If I recall correctly, the yellow is supposed to have a longer life before it needs changing compared to green, and maybe it is more eco friendly, but I don't know... but are there any significant differences? Thanks. -John

Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Use of Green AntiFreeze

I always thought it was simply dye used for Brand identity.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I Googled that because I've always wondered that too but never gave it too much thought. Found the following website where some guy goes into pretty good detail about different kinds of anti-freeze.

http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/h...ntifreeze.html

I never realized there was actually more than just the typical "green" and "yellow". It looks like its become a lot more complicated in the last ten years or so.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That was a lot of info to digest, but thanks for posting.

I read into that this:

It is ok to FULLY REPLACE green coolent ( non organic ) with yellow ( organic ) but not the other way around.

I also read that you can "top off" an organic yellow system with up to 15% green, if that is all you have, without "precipitates" forming.

However, is this "up to 15%" for temporary use only ( like your donut spare, just to get you by ) or can you leave it in there for 5 years, or the next scheduled flush?

I also see Ford uses "Hybrid Organic Acid Technology" for the coolent.
Funny... our hybrid cars ( and others ) have hybrid coolent.

Thanks. I'd still like others to chime in about leaving a Prestone neon green / Ford yellow mix in there long term.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

John

Ford uses the HOAT type anti freeze which is primarilly a corrosion protection. It basically anodizes the aluminium parts like your block and cylinder head. The green antifreeze has little corrosion protection esp for an aluminium engine. Both will protect against freezing down to -50 or so. Zerex makes an HOAT anti freeze its called G-05 and it is pale yellow you should be able to find this at most part stores. Mix it 60% AF to 40% mineral free water (distilled or r.o.) This should protect to the maximum. If you are in a pinch just add some MF water, if less than a quart. If more than a quart you have a serious leak. I would mix green only if I had no other option and then I would flush the system out and return it to yellow as soon as possible.

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 01-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Correction NOT Prestone G-05, Zerex G-05. I corrected the post above