What happens if I leave the lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What happens if I leave the lights on?

Roughly 6 weeks till my 08 arrives... With that time I was wondering...

What happens if the lights are left on? Which battery runs down? The ICE's or the hybrid battery. Which battery powers the front and rear brake lights anyway?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: What happens if I leave the lights on?

Anytime the key is in the "run" position, the HV battery steps down the voltage to 14v and powers everything. If you left your lights on with key in, your large battery will drain first, then the small under hood battery will chip in power as a last resort. You need the 12v battery to "turn on" the large battery when you first turn the key. After that, the 330v battery does all the work for the entire car, including starting the car, and running the radio.

If you left your lights on without the key in run, only your 12v battery will drain. I think there is a 10min limit for your headlamps without the key in IIRC. Then they are supposed to shut off automatically.

-John

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Does that imply that the battery next to the ICE will last longer in the FEH vs a standard Escape (given that it will do less work?).

Cris

Old 06-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Probably yes. Plus your brake pads will last twice as long since the motor does more than 50% of your stopping for you. In fact, my brake pads were in "like new" condition after 30,000 miles. Your tires have a special rubber compound that is more durable than normal also. The stock tires are probably good for 70,000 to 80,000 miles. The news just keeps getting better,... eh?

-John

Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

It does keep getting better and better. With that I'll go for the ultimate...

Is it OK to weld my gas tank shut after the dealer fills it? That tank will last the life of the car right?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 PM

If you get the plug-in conversion, YES!
-John

Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does the concept of 'Jumping' you car when the battery next to the ICE dies make (as much) sense in FEH? If that battery should die can the hybrid battery start the car? If so, why does FEH have it?
Cris

Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 PM

The HV battery requires contactors, or high voltage, high current relays to isolate it from the rest of the car. It requires 12v to "flip the switch" and turn the HV battery on, each time you turn the key.

Once you turn the key to "run" and the HV battery is turned on, you can totally remove the 12v battery under the hood, and the car will still run, and you may drive away with the 12v battery left in the garage. Just don't ever turn the key off 'cause it won't go back on!

The 12v battery does very little, but is required. If it ever goes dead, a small 12v source, such as those jump-start portable boxes you see for about $40 should do the trick. All the energy to "start" the car comes from the HV battery in back.

-John

Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

If the HV battery ever discharges, you can charge it form the 12V battery (p. 229 of the 08 Owner's Guide).

Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cshupp
What happens if the lights are left on? Which battery runs down?
For a hybrid, that is like asking if you cut the fuel line, what happens when all the gas drains out onto the ground.

BTW, on my MMH, I have yet to ever turn the lights off.

Quick Reply: What happens if I leave the lights on?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands