What to look for in a used FEH with high milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
Arrow What to look for in a used FEH with high milage

I've been looking for Escapes for my wife to replace the old minivan. When low and behold I find a 05 hybrid for $6900. Orignally I felt the hybrid to be out of our price range so I dont know much about them(though learning fast).
Couple things that rase red flags for me about he car...
Has 160k on it.
Was bought from some kind of auction?
I love the idea of getting into a hybrid but dont want to get burned by some large bill for replacing the batt. or ?
I could go get this car in the morning. I feel if I dont act fast someone else will.
THANKS for any info!!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: What to look for in a used FEH with high milage

It won't get the engine "hot" enough to turn off the engine for about the first 5 minutes. If the engine does not shut off when stopped after 10 minutes, something may be wrong. Make sure the A/C and Defrost is off. That can keep the engine running full time.

When the car finally shuts off, be very gentle on the gas pedal. I mean VERY gentle. Pretend you have a bus full of pre-schoolers in white dresses each with a cup of red cool-aid. If you are this gentle, the car should stay in EV or electric only mode as you slowly accelerate. Keep the car 25-30 MPH and see if you can keep the engine off for as long as possible. You should be able to go 1 to 2 miles ( 1.5 being average ) with battery power only. This will indicate a healthy battery.

Does the car have built-in Ford Navigation? If so, there is a battery icon on the Nav flow chart that goes from 3/4 green ( normal ) to all black ( empty ) in about 1.5 miles of electric only drive. Try this on a slow road.

There is an assist/charge needle meter on the dash.
After the test above, you should see just a slight move to the charge side as the battery tries to recharge ( with the gas engine ) from your 1.5 mile EV drive. After a bit of recharge 3-5 minutes, MASH the pedal hard. The assist needle should move 2/3 to 3/4 of the way towards assist and you should feel a good boost of acceleration. The needle will move far and fast, then quickly taper off and come back to center as the engine ramps up to carry the load.

When safe, press the brake briskly, and the needle should move 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the charge side, and then taper off, as your speed decreases.

The needle is literally a watt meter, but is roughly equal to an amp meter for the hybrid battery.

That is a good run down for the battery state of heath. It's up to you to determine the condition of the engine, which is similar to most any other engine. Bear in mind this engine never runs less than 1000 RPM. It runs higher RPM than most engines by design. Slow, in town varries, but you should cruise around town at less than 2000 RPM. On the interstate, 2000 to 3000 RPM. Accerating from a light, or passing on the interstate, 4000-4500 RPM.

Keep in mind the gas engine is NOT connected to the wheels, thus you can have (almost) any RPM at almost any road speed.

Good Luck!
HTH