What size tool is needed to remove the brake caliper bolts?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default What size tool is needed to remove the brake caliper bolts?

I have a 2006 Escape Hybrid. I went to change the disk pads and found the brake caliper uses a hex bolt for the caliper (at least I think it's a hex bolt) but I have not been able to find the right size tool to remove it. Does anyone know what size this bolt is?

Thank you.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What size tool is needed to remove the brake caliper bolts?

7mm or 6mm hex, IIRC. I just worked on my brakes a few weeks ago. 80K+ miles and little pad wear but the caliper was sticking.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

I was able to determine that the front brake caliber requires a 9MM hex tool. I didn't work on the back brakes so I can't say if they are the same but I would assume so. Interestingly none of the autoparts stores around my home carried a 9MM socket driver, I had to go to Loews.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the fronts are 9mm, and the rears are 7mm.

I think they did this on purpose because the brake system has to be put into 'service mode', otherwise you risk a caliper piston blowout while the caliper is removed.

By having goofy-sized hardware, it makes it that much more difficult for the average 'joe-schmoe' to mess with his own brakes without at least doing some research about it.

Even in my $30k+ tools at work, I didn't have anything this size.. and I'm too cheap to buy anything right now, so I ground down an old Torx bit and it fit the fronts perfectly. The rears accepted a different size Torx bit that I didn't even have to mess with.