When the Gas Pumps Click, Stop!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default When the Gas Pumps Click, Stop!

Filling up today, I wanted to fill her all the way up, not just until it clicked off like I have been.

So, there I was, it clicked off, and I put more in, it clicked off a second time. At this point, I'm about 8 cents short of the next dollar, so I figure, that much like my old Explorer, where I could fit another 75 cents worth of gas in when it clicks off, I could add a tiny 8 cents with no sweat.

The gas that was running down the side disagreed with me. I cleaned up, and paid, no problem, but still, I felt a little embarrased. Here I am with this fuel efficient superSUV, and I'm spilling gas.

I also seem to have found myself in the fill up well before 0 group, in fact, today is the lowest I've ever gotten my miles to empty, at 99. Mostly not because of anything other than the price drops in gas, or I have some big drives coming up. (This weekend I'm going to a family reunion, 80+ miles round trip, and I know I'll be giving rides there to all the people who will be excited to see a hybrid; most of them are engineers.)

Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When the Gas Pumps Click, Stop!

Hi Pravus Prime:

___You just have to be a little more careful next time

___The Ford’s do not have that much spare tank cap vs. spec like the Honda’s in particular and some Toyota’s. In the Ranger (my own) and I assume the Escape HEV (that I have read about), when you are just a ½ gallon or so past pump shutoff, you are really close to top off …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-23-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned
Default Re: When the Gas Pumps Click, Stop!

Don't worry - they will install California seals on all the pumps in the rest of the US that make you seal before you can pump and make topping off impossible.