2014 Accord Hybrid sound system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2014 Accord Hybrid sound system upgrade

Hey all. Just looking for some advice regarding installing a custom system in my Hybrid Accord. It's a Touring, but the "premium sound" isn't cutting it. I wanna replace the front speakers with some focal or JL components, the rears with quality coax speakers, and add at least 1, preferably 2 12"s for bass, with separate amps to power the speakers and sub/s. I'm gonna get it done professionally, but I assume a shop is not gonna give me all the information, and they'll obviously try to tell me what I want to hear to get my business. My concern is that everything is so **** high tech, and the whole car seems to run off electronics. Putting a system in will obviously draw amps, and I could see how that might interfere with the onboard electronics. Plus I'm not really sure, but I think it has a tiny battery for the engine, which would probably need to be used to power the system, and I'm guessing the alternator is pretty weak. Cost isn't a big concern, as long as it's done the right way without interfering with the hybrid components and stock electronics. Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2014 Accord Hybrid sound system upgrade

Why are you 'guessing' that the alternator is weak? This is a mostly electric car and I highly doubt that they would cheap out on the alternator.

Anyways, there is no 'alternator' in the accord hybrid. Its a DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery and powers the 12V electronics.

I used to run a dual 12" sub + AMP with high powered Kenwood on a 1986 Nissan Sentra with tiny alternator, and I never had problems, so I don't think you will have any issues what-so-ever.

You could always put a small but deep discharge 12V battery in the trunk with diode isolation, and use that to power your sub amp. This way it can take spikes while keeping a steady charge from the DC converter.

The professionals will know how to do all this if you go that route

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hunter44102
Why are you 'guessing' that the alternator is weak? This is a mostly electric car and I highly doubt that they would cheap out on the alternator.

Anyways, there is no 'alternator' in the accord hybrid. Its a DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery and powers the 12V electronics.

I used to run a dual 12" sub + AMP with high powered Kenwood on a 1986 Nissan Sentra with tiny alternator, and I never had problems, so I don't think you will have any issues what-so-ever.

You could always put a small but deep discharge 12V battery in the trunk with diode isolation, and use that to power your sub amp. This way it can take spikes while keeping a steady charge from the DC converter.

The professionals will know how to do all this if you go that route

I assumed that since the engine acts as a generator there wouldn't be a need for a high current alternator. I just got the car and I'm coming from a full size pickup so I'm not clear about all the hybrid technology. Even with my trucks alternator made for towing, and a deep cycle optima battery, I'd get headlight dimming, so I would think that kind of strain on the electrical system couldn't be good for the Hybrid. Your Sentra didn't have anywhere near the amount of electrical components as the Hybrid, so I don't think that's a good comparison, simply because they're so different. Could you clarify more about the "DC-DC" converter? Does that charge the battery for the gas engine? Have you looked into putting a system in your Hybrid yet? Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

How many watts is the system that you intend to install?? The accord should have at least 600 to 700 Watts of reserve power even with everything running. Even if you get a 500 watt system, its not using 500W the entire time, only when cranked and demand from high bass/volume sound. Also, your current system is probably 200 watts, so you would only be using an additional 300 watts if you bought a 500W system. I wonder if a dealer can ask a technician to get you a better answer.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

I have a JL HD 1000/1 for the subs and an Alpine PDX-F4 for the components. I think combined they total around 1500 watts, which may be too ambitious.