2014 Honda Accord PHEV Not Ready for Prime Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down 2014 Honda Accord PHEV Not Ready for Prime Time

I've had the 2014 Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid for almost a year now and I'd have to say its a bit of a disappointment. I figured I'd post my experience for any of you thinking about getting a Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid vehicle.
1. Poor Electric Range: the vehicle is advertised as having a 15 Mile all electric range. This is a false claim for real world driving. First, you never get 15 miles. At best, you can get about 12 miles under optimum conditions. Second, temperature dramatically affects range. Specifically if the temperature is under 50 the vehicle won't charge to more than 10mi range. If sub freezing, the range on full charge drops to about 7 miles. Second, use of any utilities in the vehicle - i.e. heat or air, the actual range ends up reduced by 30% from the estimated range when you start out.
2. Glitchy Electronics: the vehicle often gives inexplicable warnings that safety features have failed and twice the car wouldn't start for no reason. It seeks that the car is basically run by several computers that aren't ready for prime time.
3. Honda support disappointing: they don't seem to have any tech support people who understand how the car is supposed to work. I constantly get misinformation when I call them. I know more about the car than they do at this point.
4. Online features only work half of the time: honda has an EV portal that, in theory, not only give real time information about the vehicle, but also it is supposed to work to turn on climate control to either cool or warm the car before I get in. It almost never works. Honda basically takes no responsibility for their failure with this, and doesn't even commit to fixing the issue. This really sucks because you can't install am auto start in the vehicle. This means I will forever have to deal with a steaming hot car when I get in the summer and sub freezing car temps when I get in the car in the winter.

In sum, given the very high price tag, the car isn't worth it to me. Think twice if you're considering the car.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2014 Honda Accord PHEV Not Ready for Prime Time

So are the woes when it comes to 1st generation cars. I applaud you for taking the risk and and commitment for exploring new technology. Usually auto manufacturers fix all the bugs out when the next cycle comes out. I would assume that the car is still under warranty. So Honda would have to address and fix all those problems. I think PHEV is still in its infancy.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately honda has taken the position that some of the very features that attracted me to the car that are not working properly do not constitute features that they have the responsibility to make work. I understand that I am a beta tester, but when Honda doesn't commit to making an advertised feature work properly, I regret putting my trust in their brand and believing their representations.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pki730
I've had the 2014 Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid for almost a year now and I'd have to say its a bit of a disappointment. I figured I'd post my experience for any of you thinking about getting a Honda Accord PHEV Hybrid vehicle.
1. Poor Electric Range: the vehicle is advertised as having a 15 Mile all electric range. This is a false claim for real world driving
3. Honda support disappointing: they don't seem to have any tech support people who understand how the car is supposed to work. I constantly get misinformation when I call them. I know more about the car than they do at this point.
Where did you see 15 miles? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33557 and http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-plug-in/faqs.aspx say 13 miles. The latter even says "maximum EV mode driving range rating of 13 miles".

As for #3, I'm not surprised. It's selling in puny numbers per the charts at http://insideevs.com/february-2014-p...s-report-card/. Compare that to numbers at http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/01...-year-end.html, so Honda probably didn't see fit to put a lot of resources into support vs. the rest of their vehicles.

Last edited by cwerdna; 03-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder if the 2014 Accord Hybrid has any of these issues (other than the range). From my understanding its exactly the same as PHEV except for smaller battery. If thats the case, there will be many more complaints and maybe some resolution. Maybe this was their strategy, let the PHEV people beta-test the design for 1 year. That could be why they didn't release the hybrid in 2013

Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Now with 3 months of ownership of the 2014 Accord Hybrid, I can say that I have not come across any electrical glitches or problems so far (fingers crossed). The car operates in the 3 modes seamlessly and I often exceed the government EPA ratings. There is an EV mode but is only useful for slow cruising as any type of acceleration will kick it out of EV. As long as I'm getting the advertised MPG ratings, I'm happy. I hope Honda has figured out this new power train setup. They are planning to spread it to their future lineup of vehicles. I still think PHEV has a way to go (as far as Honda goes). Maybe they can get some help from TESLA.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

The hybrid is different from he PHEV hybrid. Which do you have? Sounds like you have the PHEV. I find that if not charged daily or if I go on a long trip with it without charging in between that the MPG is well under 40, not the 47 or so it's rated to perform at on average. During weeks where I am able to charge after every 20-25 miles of driving I do find that the MPG is over the average MPG rating, but those days and weeks are rare.

I totally agree that they could learn a lot from Tesla. So could a lot of manufacturers. They're clearly the gold standard in electric vehicles at the moment.

Last edited by pki730; 04-06-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Enthusiast

I havent heard of any of these problems with the Accord Hybrid. Thus far, everything Ive read or heard about it has been nothing but glowing reviews.
Im not an expert on the differences between the 2 but Im yet to hear of anyone who isnt getting at least 45 mpg with their Accord Hybrid, so Im going to have to take a guess that the AH and the PHEV are different.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Well now you've heard of someone giving less than glowing reviews. Your post makes me believe you work for Honda or benefit from their sales. I notice you live in Ohio and are Japanese. Coincidence that Honda has a major manufacturing hub there? Honda has a significant presence there. On other lists I've seen posts with others expressing similar concerns as i am. Their PHEV isn't ready for prime time. To buy one is to be their beta tester. If you know what you're getting into then by all means buy one as I have and you'll see the reality for yourself.

Last edited by pki730; 04-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pki730
Well now you've heard of someone giving less than glowing reviews. Your post makes me believe you work for Honda or benefit from their sales. I notice you live in Ohio and are Japanese. Coincidence that Honda has a major manufacturing hub there? Honda has a significant presence there. On other lists I've seen posts with others expressing similar concerns as i am. Their PHEV isn't ready for prime time. To buy one is to be their beta tester. If you know what you're getting into then by all means buy one as I have and you'll see the reality for yourself.
LOL...thats a pretty big assumption, my friend.

Quick Reply: 2014 Honda Accord PHEV Not Ready for Prime Time

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands