Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Air filter

I've noticed my gas mileage dropping a little bit with just over 10,000 miles and am wondering if the air filter might be dirty. I can't find any information on how often to change the air filter in the HAH. I also couldn't open the box that the air filter is in. How often should the air filter be changed? Is getting into that box a matter of unscrewing all of the screws and lifting up? If so I'm going to need a longer screwdriver as that last one is pretty far down and right under some wrapped cables. It made me go just trying to get to it.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Air filter

On the HCH, the recommended interval is 30k, however I change it at 25k, when it shows a fair amount of dirt build up. At my 10k oil changes, I will take it out and shake out the loose dirt or run a vacuum over it.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Filters are cheap. Cars aren't. Change one frequently and it will keep the other in good shape- you pick

There is a chance the air filter is restricting some flow, but not super-likely at only 10k. Depends on what conditions you drive in. If you pull it you WILL see visible dirt in the folds after 10k; the extent to which is the question. I think the HAH interval is 15k in the manual? Not sure- I don't have it here.

There is a cable bundle over one of the screws, but it moves over easily. You do need a fairly fat driver to bite those screws. Like any other car I've had, its not nearly as easy as it should/could be, but its still no more than 5 minutes hood up to hood down.

I've always gone:
5k for oil/filter
10k air filter/tire rotate
50k fuel filter

Nice, round numbers- no little stickers needed to remind you. But everyone's got their own way.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's 15K for severe and 30K for normal conditions.

Rich