Automatic Mirror Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Automatic Mirror Problems

I hope that this is just lunkheaddery in the service department at my dealer, but.... I'm going to have to take the car back because of the auto mirror.

When they installed the thing in the car, even though it LOOKS centered, when I pull down the sun visor and push it back against the windshield, it whacks into the mirror and knocks it out of position (not fun at 130MPH on I-40 during bumper to bumper rush hour .)

Anyway.... is this a "problem" that's unique to my car (because they put the mirror about 1/2" too far to the left) or is this one of those "That's not a bug, it's a feature" things that happens on the Acccord, with the auto mirror? (There seems to be plenty of room - mayb 1" on the righhand side, with the sun visors pulled down.)

Sincerely,

A Curious (Yet Blinded) Owner

Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Default Re: Automatic Mirror Problems

They probably messed up. They probably centered it and never check to make sure it wasn't hitting the sun visors. Hard to blame them for that but they should fix it for free. I can't imagine if its an official accessory that it would normal for it to interfere with your sun visors.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

I just checked mine. The driver's sunvisor will brush against the mirror as it passes it. The padding on the visor is all that lets it go by. Usually, I don't put the visor all the way to the windshield, so I don't notice.

I installed my own mirror. There's no "adjustment" or really no way the dealer could mess up on installation. The accessory mirror attaches to the same place on the glass as the factory mirror - the bracket is glued to the glass. So it's either that your bracket wasn't placed quite right by the factory, or maybe your mirror is tilted a little differently than mine, just due to relative seating positions/heights.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Seems a pretty bad design, then, if you've got an inch clearance on the other side, and this one knocks the mirror out of place.

Hmmm ... can I "return" a car for that? LOL

Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 AM

Quick answer!

Was in and out of the service bay in a bout 2 minutes yesterday. There *is* only one point of installation on the window (because of the electronics) and there's an extra joint in the mirror installation that I missed (I was simply adjusting the mirror in the "normal way" you would to make it work for your height, etc. when you sit down in the car.)

There's an additional movement in that joint that will allow the mirror to rotate/shift slightly to the right and left. All the guy had to do was shirt the mirror over a bit on that joint, and it worked perfectly.

Rats! My Evil Plans to swap out a white one for a gray one.... foiled again!

Old 01-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Glad to hear your mirror problems worked out! Sometimes, we overlook the simplest things.

Speaking of mirror, I really miss the reverse sensing passenger side mirror in my TL.

When you put the car into reverse, the passenger mirror tilts down so you can see the rear tire. Makes parking up against a tight spot really easy.