Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brake FADE

Honda just sent out a notice on 2006-2007 Honda Accord Hybrids -
sometimes the brake pedal will fade with time. Air is developing into
the brake lines. The problem is not a faulty master cylinder... it is a
faulty hydraulic control unit for the ABS brakes. Replacing it should
solve the problem, I hope, for my car, whose brake pedal was on the
"fade" every 10 days until I bled them again.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake FADE

Is a TSB number available? Just this past weekend I was driving in the Sierras, and had serious brake fade during a long downhill grade. On the same trip, the brake pedal was pulsating, in ABS-like frequency and magnitude, when the SOC was maximum (6/6 bars).

Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Enthusiast
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Enthusiast

I wonder why this is not a recall; brake failure like this is quite alarming. I guess I'll go back to jake-braking like in my old Jeep. Here is a pdf of the TSB:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16735

Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

I bought a Honda Accord Hybrid 2006 on Craigslist for a bargain a few years ago. The car had 33,000 mi. on it. (Paid $20,500). But when I
got it home, I had to bleed the brakes every 5 days - the pedal would gradually go to the floor. It turned out to be a defective relay for the ABS, which Honda replaced ($1,250 job) for free, since the car, despite being a 2nd owner was under warranty under 35,000 mi. It was found to be on the SERVICE BULLETIN for that car. The car has since been the greatest car I've ever owned. However, the original brakes will need changing at 65,000 mi (along with changing the headlight lamp bulbs). I know that, but thought the 1st owner had changed the brakes at 30,000 trying to fix the problem. So, my wife got stuck in Oklahoma when the brake pad got too low at 70,000, and made an awful noise - then she took off the tire, cranked the wheel, and it set of the security system, with an "inoperable" message on the dash....wouldn't accept the key, finally got it going....get brake pads from a Honda dealer, as OEM will not work well.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

2006 HAH is at the Honda dealership shop. They diagnosed as OK, after 2+ hours. I then informed them of the TSB -- surprising that this is not SOP for a dealer shop to check for TSBs prior to rendering judgement.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast

And of course, Honda will not fix the issue, which is not surprising, given past performance of this dealer. Should have got the Prius. This is my last Honda. Ever.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

The ABS is very sensitive...and will activate with bumps, etc.
I don't like it, but don't think it can be fixed.....your difficulties
seem different than the "control module" problem I had, in which the
previous owner took the car to his local Honda dealership, and they
were unable to fix it....so he sold it to me, and I took it to another
dealership, Vandegriff's Honda in Arlington, TX where they gave great
customer service, and fixed the problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Following the Honda shop manual diagnostics, there is brake drag on the passenger rear. Uneven brake pad wear on the passenger rear as well. The Honda dealer shop in Palo Alto, California neglected to mention, I will note.

Last edited by carbonita; 08-04-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brake failure, was: Re: Brake FADE

Interestingly, a (consumers' reference highly-rated) independent shop did find a problem. Brake pedal sinking to floor, and then the ABS kicking in to try to stop the car. Unfortunately, Honda warranty requires the dealership shops to perform warranty work.

Anyone have tips for actually getting Honda warranty work done?

Quick Reply: Brake FADE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands