New Hybrid Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New Hybrid Battery

My 05 HAH battery's coming up on 190K and something weird seems to be going on with the mileage I get. Use to be able to fill up and get that mpg gauge would go to about the upper 30's. Now I fill up and it'll barely get to the low 30's and it seems to be hard to get 30 mpg out of a gallon. So, I'm guessing the battery's telling me something. I just wonder what a new Hybrid battery will cost me and has anyone replaced theirs recently. I haven't called the dealer as of yet but may have to. Heck maybe all I need is a set of plugs, but I'm running pretty good. Who knows....

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Hybrid Battery

I don't have any info for you, unfortunately, but I will soon be in the same situation. I've got 176k and things are running well. My mileage runs around 30mpg with minimal effort and I can get about 32mpg with the right conditions.

The hybrid battery is one of the reasons I pay attention so much to the mileage, so I know when "something" is going on. . .

I look forward to hearing what's up!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I know the mpg's go down in the winter months but it seems to be a little early this year and the temps haven't really been all that low yet.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe a few HCH owners reported their FE dropped off considerably prior to needing a new battery pack. Hope this isn't a sign that yours will soon need a replacement.

There was a thread here in the HAH section where someone had replaced their battery pack. I think they said they paid around $3K?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I called the local Honda dealer today and they want $3300 for this IMA battery. I don't know if it's worth the money to tell you the truth. Maybe I should just get rid of this car. I only get 35mpg and thats only in the summer months when its warm out. In the winter it usually drops down below 30. The cars a pretty good vehicle, one that doesn't need much maintenance other the normal. I don't really know if the $3300 is worth it. If it was around a $1000 I'd do it, but...

Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The batterypack may be fine. I believe the dealer can hook up a tester which will tell you how efficient the batteries are.

190K mile hybrid on it's original batteries, you may not get much money for it.

I sold my car for $10K a couple months ago. '05 w/ Navi, 95K miles. I hear cars similar mileage to mine are going for about $8,500 at wholesale (where dealers buy cars to put on their lots) so getting $10K wasn't a bad deal. I bought it for just under $30K six years ago. It retained 33% of it's value after six years, so can't complain.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Think green.

lebloom,

What about your 12V battery, has that ever been replaced? If it's the original, maybe it's getting old.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Changed out the 12v battery a couple of years ago.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lebloom
Changed out the 12v battery a couple of years ago.
It's not unheard of for a 12V battery to give out after 2 years. They should last 4-5 years, but even expensive batteries have been known to throw in a clunker from time to time. The chemical composition inside the battery is a tricky cocktail, and if you happened to get one that's not quite right...

I would definitely check both batteries before proceeding. You may just save yourself thousands...

Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just how does the 12v battery affect the MPG's in this vehicle?

Quick Reply: New Hybrid Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands