New owner questions (ECO mode, Auto-Stop, Charge indicator, break in period)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default New owner questions (ECO mode, Auto-Stop, Charge indicator, break in period)

All,

I just picked up my HAH last night and I'm thrilled so far. It is quite a step up from my '95 Acura Integra. Anyhow, of course, I am micro-inspecting everything and wanted some guidance from the pro's. Here are some questions for y'all:

1) Can anyone explain (or point me to an appropriate resource about it) how the "ECO" light is engaged. My understanding is that it signifies that 3 of the 6 cylinders are not being used, but I see it come on at speed of 35-40 or sometimes above 50. Just trying to understand what it really means, and if there are ways to maximize its usage.

2) I noticed today that my Auto-Stop was not engaged for my trip to and from lunch - only about 10 minutes each way. I read earlier posts that talk about Auto-Stop not working properly until the car is warmed up, but I live in Houston TX and the temperature was well over 90 I'm sure when I was driving. Any ideas?

3) I've noticed that my charge indicator doesn't always (actually rarely) seems to come on when I brake, but I notice that it comes on when I'm simply decelerating (no accelerator, but no brake either). Any insight (no pun intended)?

4) Any advice from folks on the break - in period. I got my vehicle at 148 miles and I'm at about 200 now. Planning on not going faster than 55 until 800 miles or so. Any feelings either way?

NAVI says I'm doing about 24.5 mpg, the driver display says I'm doing close to 22 (sigh). But I'm hopeful that it will increase.

Thanks for all the help in advance,
Wes

Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner questions (ECO mode, Auto-Stop, Charge indicator, break in period)

1)When you get to cruising speed and the engine has very little "load" an/or you are not accelerating (holding foot steady), the gas engine will cut to 3 cylinder operation (and green ECO lights). This is where you maximize your fuel savings and is the primary fuel saver for the HAH. It doesn't matter the speed that you are traveling, but I find it is harder to maintain ECO at very slow cruising speeds, say under 30 MPH. I maximize ECO mode by getting up to the desired cruising speed quickly, and then "feathering" or throttling back slightly when cruising speed is reached and then hold gas pedal steady when ECO lights. The longer you can maintain "ECO", the better you average mileage will be. Across town on the freeway, I can get 40 MPG if I pay attention to the ECO light. After a while, you get "trained" by the ECO light and you don't have to watch it constantly...you can sense when you have the cruise right.

2). If A/C is blasting to cool down your hot car that has been sitting in the sun, Auto stop will not work until the A/C load is decreased, usually when you just start to feel comfortable.

3) Concerned about your braking charge. Mine always shows recharge on braking and also recharge on deceleration. Also, ECO mode is engaged on deceleration (why pump wasted fuel into 6 cylinders that are just coasting/decelerating?)

4)I'm at 1,300 miles and couldn't sense a break-in threshhold. Someone here said that their HAH seemed to "breathe easier" at around 1,700 miles. Dunno. I baby mine anyway...will probably wait a while longer before I burn rubber...tempting though...knowing what she could do if you romped on it. Can't wait to find out!!

5) In town, fairly large city, commute to work, stop and go, I can only get 25 mpg to 28mpg. If I mix in some open road/freeway as part of my commute, I can easily get 30 mpg to 35mpg. A 40 mile jaunt on the interstate to a jobsite yields 44 mpg!! You have to learn to get into ECO as quickly as possible and try to stay there to get your numbers up. That's hard to do in town.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner questions (ECO mode, Auto-Stop, Charge indicator, break in period)

Originally Posted by weyus
2) I noticed today that my Auto-Stop was not engaged for my trip to and from lunch - only about 10 minutes each way. I read earlier posts that talk about Auto-Stop not working properly until the car is warmed up, but I live in Houston TX and the temperature was well over 90 I'm sure when I was driving. Any ideas?
The engine (and coolant) needs to get a lot hotter than ambient temperature to maximize efficiency, as well the catalytic converter needs to be heated before it's fully functional, so it will prioritize that for emission's sake. Once those conditions are met, then it will let the engine shut off.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:24 AM

At 3:30am, high 80 degree weather, car has been sitting for at least nine hours, as I leave my house for work, I start the car, back out the driveway, go about 50 yards to a stopsign, and as I come to a stop the car goes into autostop. NO warming up. The water temp gauge only reads the first one, two, or three bars. Of course, my ambient outside temps are above average. But still, the car does't require any significant engine component warm up before the hybrid parts become fully functional.

Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by kaymack
I maximize ECO mode by getting up to the desired cruising speed quickly, and then "feathering" or throttling back slightly when cruising speed is reached and then hold gas pedal steady when ECO lights.
So, is it more fuel efficient to accelerate rapidly to cruising speed than it is to slowly get there??

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
So, is it more fuel efficient to accelerate rapidly to cruising speed than it is to slowly get there??
In both my insight and civic, I think it's more efficient to run in top gear (5th). I imagine the same is true for the HAH.

The shift lights indicate that 37 in 5th gear is the most efficient speed, so I accelerate to approximately 40 at a rapid rate, and then release the accelerator so the car can settle into top gear.