Strange NAVI trip data change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Strange NAVI trip data change

I was about 400 miles into my second tank. I enjoy watching the NAVI trip computer for instant feedback about my mileage. I reset my 'Trip A' and my NAVI trip on each fill-up.

Many have noticed the difference between the NAVI mileage and the 'Trip A' mileage (or 'Trip B' mileage, depending.. ). My NAVI had been about 1mpg higher than my 'Trip A' (nothing new here).

One night when I shut my HAH off the NAVI showed 36.5mpg (and 'Trip A' showed 35.5mpg) - the next morning when I started the car, the NAVI showed 31.5mpg ('Trip A' still showed 35.5mpg). Has anyone else seen a drop like this overnight (or any other time for that matter)?

I've kept a spreadsheet with my mileage and MUCH more information about each tankful for my last two cars, and this is no different. I guess I'm an info junkie..

Oh... I DO LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strange NAVI trip data change

Hi Shomrighausen:

___I can bet you lost the TC’s data just before shutting down? Any voice commands while the TC display is showing can erase your mpg data faster then a blink of an eye. I accidentally had this happen to me the first time after ~ 150 miles from driving her off the lot. A tip from GreenAndBlue that works perfectly. If you accidentally throw out a voice command for another screen and the TC data is erased, you can hit the Back button within something like 1 second and the NAVI unit will revert the command. I have lost it numerous times since then with forced autostops at light, signs, and such but you shouldn’t have that problem because you own the AH and you are probably not rebooting. Using voice commands with the TC display showing has to be handled very delicately unfortunately

___Just a $0.015 thought anyway

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

The inadvertent reset doesn't seem likely given that you're still seeing a figure for mpg. When you reset, it goes to zero until you start moving again.

I haven't noticed this kind of thing happen, but I've grown suspicious of the navi for mileage. Over my first 10 tanks, the navi mpg was an average of 4.6% (~1.5 mpg) higher than my calculated mpg. A little too much error for my taste. I suppose the odometer could be off - it's usually 15-20 miles less than what the navi shows - but I'm more inclined to think the navi is off.

If I had to guess, I'd say that since it can't maintain a constant link to your car due to tunnels, bridges, garages and such, it maybe tries to fill in the gaps and doesn't do a perfect job of it. The underground garage where I work is the most likely culprit. I drive around in circles everyday looking for a parking spot and the satellite can't see me while I'm doing this.

Anyway, bit of a side track. Since I've lost confidence in the navi figures somewhat, your experience doesn't surprise me. Maybe the satellite lost contact with your car for some reason and when it reconnected, got a different reading from the gas tank?

Old 06-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

I have not used voice commands more than just 'playing around' with them when I first got the car. There was no reset to the NAVI trip computer, it still showed the total miles, E/T, mpg. The only part that changed (dramatically) was the mpg.

I'm on my third tank, I don't suppose it matters too much. My other two hybrids didn't have NAVI, so it's just an additional source of data for me. It'll be interesting to see what the trend shows for accuracy vs. the 'Trip A' and 'at the pump' - which were all I had on the HCH and Prius I.

I guess if the 'problem' comes up again, I'll say something to my dealer about it. I'm sure that they won't have suggestions, it's a bit more 'technical' than normal 'car stuff'. It would be a problem in the NAVI software somewhere - unless they will swap it out with something better (and able to play my MP3s and video DVDs, SVCDs, etc), it won't be worth them tearing apart the dash (ALWAYS a little different than 'from the factory').

Old 06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Rarely post anything

I can report that I 'screwed up' my mpg portion when I 'rebooted' a few days ago - like you, I did retain the total miles, range, E/T, and...history, thank goodness

And to concur with the other poster, Xcel and myself both observe the TC's mpg as about 1.5 - 2gal optimistic (1.5 is usual; 2 is rare). I thought it had something to do with the built-in error factor (DoD requires it to be no more accurate than 12', and the device is sometimes several hundred feet off, with a destination (normal, per the manual). My theory was that this would be exacerbated with each re-init of the Navi (ie; each time you start the car and boot up the system), but Xcel reported the same variance, and his average trip length is about 2.5x longer than mine. Back to the drawing board

The MMC in Sept / Oct *may* include MP3 audio capabilities (costs about .10 to include in a deck); I'd be *very* surprised to see DVD-Audio or -Video (the first, because it differentiates the TL, and the second for legal reasons, not to mention that Honda makes a RES for the Accord as a dealer-installed accessory - not that I'd ever want them to tear my car apart to install it - but I digress). There *are* people who have hacked the Navi to play DVD-Video, I believe (?) - if you're interested, you should be able to find out about it on the other Accord forums.

(an aside to Xcel - I *did* snap a good pic of the last history that you wanted, and will send your way soon. Still have a ways to go on the current tank

Old 06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GreenAndBlue:

___Thanks as I am looking forward to it. Also, keep me up to date on your next tank fill as it may answer some questions of mine.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net